callum12

uni-drive 3 speed

callum12

hi all,

i've been planning for a project for a while now and i'm in need of a uni-drive transmission. here in the UK part are quite hard to come across and since transaxles are very heavy i don't really want to order from overseas. anyway, one has cropped up not to far from me and i wanted to know what it is capable of. all i know is that it is 3 speed and is being sold with three lug hubs (i will have to source some 5 lugs). is this transaxle as strong as the 8 speed? would i be able to do some ground engagement?

thank you very much,

callum

Racinbob

It would help if we had a bit more info callum. What model is it? 2 piece case or 3 piece?  The hubs indicate it's older. In any case, it's one tough transmission and, if it's in good shape, ground engagement attachments aren't a problem. :)

pfrederi

As Bob said more info would be good.  May not be that, old Lawn Rangers had 3 bolt hubs on 5053 transmissions.  Not 8 pinion 1-1/8 axles but still plenty tough

groundhog47

If the 3 lugs are equispaced (every 120 deg) it's more than likely a 1" axel Lawn Ranger (65, 66 at least) . If the lug holes are 2 (approx. 72 deg) and 1 (approx. 144 deg )(complete like a Y pattern) it's a very older model. At any rate as previous post those had 2 diff trans case configurations, one a 3 piece and other two a 2 piece case. Not sure if they had 1" or 1 1/8" axles, but from the beginning the tractors equipped with them had plows as attachments if I'm not mistaken. What else they might have "dragged" not sure.  Up till around 1974 the 3 (4) speed was a common "worker". Check oil for cloudy milky and ease of hand turning input or axle and shift ease through gears to be safe. Water likes to play havoc inside a left outside tran. "Have a great day everyday!"  

Woops was late didn't intend steppin' on Paul!

Edited by groundhog47
  • Like 1

callum12

hi all,

thanks for the help, i know i was very vague! i'm wasn't sure about putting links or uploading pictures of sales that aren't mine.

the case is the same type as the 8 speed (just without the range selector) any yes the lug holes are equally spaced. I have asked the seller for some more detail.

thank you for all your help,

Callum

callum12

just got a message from the seller, the axles are 1" and he reckons its from a B series, he reckons 121 but is unsure on this.

callum