Sign in to follow this  
rexman72

pto runs when disengaged

rexman72

I bought a new pto brake to trytostop the pto from moving when disengaged.After two minutes of running the tractor the pto starts moving.I checked the blolts I bought for 15 cents at the hardware store and they were melted and one had broken.Are there an special bolts I  need to get?I am pretty sure these bolts are causing the pto to move even with a new brake.

rmaynard

What is the model number?

On manual PTO's, the brake is adjusted with the engine STOPPED. Engage the PTO, loosen the nuts on the brake, slide a .012" feeler gauge between the brake pad and the housing. With even pressure on the both ends of the pad, tighten the nuts. Slide the feeler gauge out. When the PTO lever is disengaged, the housing returns outward and the brake pad stops the housing from turning. Some models have internal springs that help push the housing outward, other just use the pulling effect of the housing rod.

WH nut

If you are running it without a belt on the PTO its going to turn

rmaynard

If you are running it without a belt on the PTO its going to turn

Most of mine don't have belts on them and properly adjusted they stop fine.

rexman72

What is the model number?

On manual PTO's, the brake is adjusted with the engine STOPPED. Engage the PTO, loosen the nuts on the brake, slide a .012" feeler gauge between the brake pad and the housing. With even pressure on the both ends of the pad, tighten the nuts. Slide the feeler gauge out. When the PTO lever is disengaged, the housing returns outward and the brake pad stops the housing from turning. Some models have internal springs that help push the housing outward, other just use the pulling effect of the housing rod.

First of all i am going to buy some grade 8 bolts instead of the grade 2 that i bought.I will engage the PTO and slide a feeler gauge in between the brake pad and housing.I think most of my issues are with the bolts i have in there.Theres so much friction that one of them snapped when i tried tightening it.

My model number is 31-17KE02

rmaynard

When properly adjusted, there should not be that much heat. Standard grade-5, 1/4-20 carriage bolts with flat washer, split lock washers, and nuts should work fine. I would remove the housing and clean both the friction side and the brake side. Be sure the clutch material is not glazed by roughing it up a bit with sandpaper. Be sure the bearing is lubricated but not over-lubricated. You don't want grease coming out on to the clutch disc. Re-install the housing and spin it to be sure it runs freely with no drag or unusual noise. Install the brake pad assembly and move it all the way out. Temporarily snug the bolts. Run the tractor with the PTO engaged and disengaged for a short time, then turn it off. It should not be getting hot. When engaging and disengaging the PTO with the brake pad moved out you should have about about 1/8" or more movement. When the PTO is engaged, you should not be able to turn it without turning the crankshaft. When disengaged it should not be touching the clutch plate at all, and spin freely.  Then do your adjustments as stated above.

• Like 1

rexman72

Is leaving the brake pad out to see if everything is running accordlingly after  i take the housing off and go through it and make sure it doesnt heat up?

rmaynard

You can do that.

rexman72

ok so I am stumped again.I went through everything and when the tractor is off and the pto is disengaged I cant move the pto by hand but when I start the tractor the pto spins so not sure what to do next.

rmaynard

Sounds like the bearing is seized.

rexman72

you mean inside the housing?

rmaynard

Sounds that way. I've never had one seize, but I have had to pry one off with a couple of tire irons.

• Like 1

rexman72

I will have to check that out and see if the bearing is ok but something has changed so you could be right on with that.