truckin88

cheap repower sources

truckin88

Just wondering, since the supply of WHs isn't getting greater, instead of parting them out, where do you guys find cheap motors that will work? Cub used Kohler CH hortizonal command motors in all those 90s 00s shaft driven mowers, many had bad trans but good motors and can be had for around 200 running. Craftsman put m18 magnum horizontal motors in GT6000 tractors in the 80s and 90s, another great motor in a tractor that goes dirt cheap. Would these work in a WH? If not why? I was thinking a 520 with the motor gone, ditch the on an bring in the M18. Or the kohler command 16s are everywhere in those shaft driven cubs.

Edited by truckin88

pfrederi

I am not familiar with the Kohler Command series.  You should look up the spec number a motor you are interested ion and see what sort of crankshaft bearings it has.  If it has sleeve bearings then you have to look and see if there is some sort of thrust bearing to take up the end loading of WH PTOs.  Since it is an additional cost and not needed for shaft drives Cub.Sears may not have had them built in.  Also shaft drives usually do not require the long crankshaft WHs need for teh drive pulley and PTO.

truckin88

What about magnum out of old craftsman gt6000 they were belt driven and horizontal

muz123

Briggs

Pullstart

a little late of a post, but I found my K181T on a portable air compressor for jobsites.  The tanks were leaking so I got a great deal on it but the engine purrs right along.  Try looking for used gas powered equipment... sprayers, generators, compressors, etc.