Sign in to follow this  
zieg72

198? 520H re-power or part out

zieg72

I just picked up a 520H, late 80's version with a basket case Onan. I am trying to decide if I want to part it out or re-power it. My thoughts would be to make this my winter tractor for snow removal. It actually isn't bad. The sheet metal is straight and the paint is faded. The steering is fairly tight and it has a new pair of front tires.

Key things to think about... very low budget, and this is not needed in the near future, (more time than money senerio)

Thinking single cylinder 12-16hp???

What would you guys do.

T-Mo

If you have more time than money, then I would hold off on it and see if you can score another engine while it sits (unless it's taking up needed storage). You never know when you will run across a great deal on a good used engine.

Duff

I'm sympathetic to the "more time than money" scene! :hide:

If the rest of machine is reallly solid and time isn't of the essence, I'd save up for a repower - either a good used engine when one comes on the market, like T-Mo said, or even one of the Honda repowers if originality is less important than workability. Just MHO! :D

Duff :hide:

Edit: My goodness! I just realized I've been a member of this wonderful outfit for one year today! Cool!

zieg72

My brother has a 16hp Wisconsin... Aside from anything from a 300, 400 or 500 series I am up to any suggestions. What about a diesel??? Anyone done that conversion, not that I have the coin but that would be cool.

Duff

Somebody here did a diesel conversion, if I remember correctly, but I'll be darned if I can find the thread....... :D

Duff :hide:

wheelhorse101

well if you do wana part it out i am looking for a front end to put on my c-81 loader so id be very intrested

sorekiwi

I'm sympathetic to the "more time than money" scene! :hide:

I never seem to have time or money!

htopjimmy26

Don't count out a used twin, wheelhorse used brigs, most kohlers, and performer onans, all you would have to do is score the correct mounting plate/stuff for whatever chassis similar engine was installed with. When I was rebuilding the k321 kohler in my c141 I breifly had a magnum 18 on a kt17 engine plate for a c175 installed to see how it would fit in there and it would with the correct exhaust and different air cleaner. :hide:

HorseFixer

The heck with that! If you have more time than money you need to stop by my place and help me clean my garage! :hide::hide: No really good luck finding an engine! Dont part it out, Save a horse ride errrrr a deer! :D

djmil11

i have a 1994 520 that has a engine in bad shape, but the rest is in great cond. ive decided to spend as much time as needed to rebuild the engine. the price for the parts for these r crazy, but if the job is done right, u wont worry about it in the long run. i had the money for the rebuild(new pistons and conn. rods + all the machine work and the dog got sick and 1500 later my tractor was on hold). what im saying is as long as u have time whats the rush to make a decision.

good luck and have fun with it,

djmil11 :hide:

zieg72

The heck with that! If you have more time than money you need to stop by my place and help me clean my garage! :hide::hide: No really good luck finding an engine! Dont part it out, Save a horse ride errrrr a deer! :D

Niles MI, clean yer garage. Name the day and I'll bring my truck and trailer and... With straight sheet metal and fairly tight steering I have to save it... I'll match the paint in the lab and make enough to do several tractors so if'n you want to trade... the more I look the more I like.

sorekiwi

I dont know too much about whats involved (a 520 is a bit new for me!), but I think there are kits to repower these tractors with a 20 or 24 hp Honda.

I'd go for that in a heartbeat - anything Honda I've ever been associated with has been great - easy starting, quiet, reliable.

I do know a lot of guys have repowered the green tractors with Honda's.

linen beige

I do know a lot of guys have repowered the green tractors with Honda's.

Does that make 'em Hon-Deeres? :hide:

JimD

Does that make 'em Hon-Deeres? :omg:

:D:hide::omg: :hide: