coldbear

P220 is down

coldbear

Hello Fellas.....I just purchased a 1989 520 H with close to 800 hrs. on her. I bought her cheap enough that I can afford to rebuild her right. She needs one piston, a rod, and a cam. My question is there anyone that knows how to read these Onans? I've overhauled several Rotax sno engines in my times but this Onan is a strange bird to me. I live around the Cincinnati area and can travel to a reliable machine shop that can bore and R@R new the valve/valve guides. Any suggestions as who would be a good rebuilder ?

post-10304-0-06297100-1431131204_thumb.j

post-10304-0-14051500-1431131248_thumb.j

post-10304-0-12395200-1431131268_thumb.j

boomers_influence

cold

with only 800 hrs SHE should not need a rebuild.

i stock any and all parts that you will need for this repair.

many of my customers do it themselves.

please have cast # from the rod side beam,

and inside of the piston.

also the spec# and S.N.

boomers_influence@yahoo.com

651 437 2826 M-F 10-7  S-S 12-6 cent time zone.

thank you. boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy, also NOS and new )

coldbear

Thanks Boomer for I haven't the vaguest idea how to fix this mess. The internal damage was severe enough to break the cam , one connecting rod, one piston, and nipped the bottom of one cylinder, and nick one throw of the crankshaft. The seller said it still run after this influx but I seriously doubt that. Yes sir, see if you can locate of few internals for me. I always wanted one of these models but now , I don't know. Oh by the way...we used to make the trip up there for the Fall MSA sno-show. I've been by your house many times and never knew it.lol.

Edited by coldbear

cleat

No engine is safe if run low on oil. I have seen Kohler, Briggs, Tecumseh, Pontiac, Chev etc all throw rods.

Fix it properly and maintain it and you will be good to go.

Cleat

coldbear

I just bought this wrecked 520, Cleat. Believe me, there is no one on this Red Forum that takes better care of equipment than myself. I really like things done right. THE FIRST TIME !

bmsgaffer

Coldbear:

I live in Cincy. Check with Monarch Automotive Machine Shop. (859) 283-9099

They are located in Burlington, KY off of Rt 18 and Limaburg Rd. (They are 'round the back of the Mikes Automotive building)

I just had them rebuild a Kohler for me and I know they had mentioned they were working on an Onan. I think they did a fine job, haven't gotten the motor up and running but it looks nice and they were somewhat reasonably priced. I just had a few nit picky issues (they machined the bore without having the new piston first, not a HUGE deal, but not ideal). So just talk to them a lot about what they are doing.

Let me know if they will do it or if you find anyone else around that will. I always like to have a list of people to call.

Oh and you will probably want to replace both pistons and rods at the same time just to be sure everything is balanced.

geod919

I too, can recommend Monarch, I work at KOI in Newport and since closing our machine shop this year, we've been referring everyone there. Call me if you need any belts spark plugs or bulbs or batteries!

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

I too, can recommend Monarch, I work at KOI in Newport and since closing our machine shop this year, we've been referring everyone there. Call me if you need any belts spark plugs or bulbs or batteries!

:bow-blue:  You are on my list new friend! :handgestures-thumbupright:

coldbear

Thanks for the information. I'll check with Monarch, see how backed up they are. This is race season around here. Shops get covered up with work. Once again thanks. bad.

coldbear

Checked with Monarch. They are three weeks behind,reporting down one man. I'll keep them in my prayers.

bmsgaffer

Three weeks behind or three weeks out? I dropped off my K341 and didnt see it again for like 3 months (and I wasnt in a hurry). So three weeks either way ain't bad.

coldbear

I need the valve seats ground and the valves turned. If I had the machine I'd do it myself. At times, machinist go too far on the grinds. Leave a thin disk for a valve then charge you for it. I think boomer has some parts coming for the rebuild. This should help to get the old 520 back on the grass and the garden.

• Like 1