The Walri

Deck maintenance?

The Walri

Was finally able to get the blades off of my 42" RD deck last night!! [emoji2] [emoji1] amazing amazing what amazing what a amazing what a little amazing what a little heat amazing what a little heat will amazing what a little heat will do to a stubborn nut. Now that they're off and will be sharpened, is there anything else I should do/check on the deck while they're off? I plan to pressure wash the underside and already greased the spindle zerks. Thanks!

gwest_ca

What is the size and shape of the center hole in the blade?

Garry

The Walri

It's the 3/4" round center hole on the blades.

gwest_ca

You can get a 3/4" OD woodworking router bit replacement bearing that works wonders for balancing the blade. The lubrication used in the bearing is light making it very effective. Hanging a blade on a nail works to a point but the nail not centered in the hole leaves a good percentage of the blade's weight acting as a pendulum which masks a good portion of the unbalance condition. The ball bearing eliminates that. Get one with a 1/4" ID so you can slide a 1/4" bolt into it and clamp the bolt in a vice or mount it on the wall. Best to do this inside because the slightest breeze will windmill the blade and defeat the purpose. Sharpen both ends of the blade and check balance. Then sharpen the heavy end until balanced. You deck will really appreciate it.

Any place that stocks a good selection of router bits should have a bearing. See if this link works

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=30124&cat=1,46168,46180,30124

Garry

• Like 2

PaulC

You can get a 3/4" OD woodworking router bit replacement bearing that works wonders for balancing the blade. The lubrication used in the bearing is light making it very effective. Hanging a blade on a nail works to a point but the nail not centered in the hole leaves a good percentage of the blade's weight acting as a pendulum which masks a good portion of the unbalance condition. The ball bearing eliminates that. Get one with a 1/4" ID so you can slide a 1/4" bolt into it and clamp the bolt in a vice or mount it on the wall. Best to do this inside because the slightest breeze will windmill the blade and defeat the purpose. Sharpen both ends of the blade and check balance. Then sharpen the heavy end until balanced. You deck will really appreciate it.

Any place that stocks a good selection of router bits should have a bearing. See if this link works

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=30124&cat=1,46168,46180,30124

Garry

this is great info right here Gary and it really does make a huge difference. I sourced the same sized bearing from Amazon for around 8 or 9 bucks and have it permanently installed on my workbench. I got new blades for my 42" rear discharge deck and balanced with this setup and the deck runs so quiet I cant hear it over the exhaust of the tractor.

Wyattrrp

Just curious why not use a universwal blade balancer.  They come with a total range of diameters and look like a pyramid cone shape with all the different hole diameters to sit you blade centered on the outer cone.  That cone is hollow and sits on a spike mounted on a base.  When the blade is on the outer cone it balances on the point of the spike, telling you if it is unbalanced left or right end of blade and also if the front to back is in balance.  I have used one for 30 yrs and grind the end that is heaveir a bit more then it balances perfect.  Never any vibration on the deck or for the hand mower rotary blade.

Just a thought.  Google "mower blade balancer" and you will see plenty of pictures and places to buy one.

Wyatt

The Walri

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I took the blades to my local toro dealer to sharpen as they haven't been done in a few years between the previous owner not doing it and my inability to remove them u til recently. Going to have them done right and then will touch them up on my own moving forward.