Sign in to follow this  
eibbed

5.5 Lauson

eibbed

Gentlemen,

TractorData.com says that my 604 came with a 5.5 HP Lauson. Would the motor be a pull start or electrc start? This is my favorite Wheelhorse and I would like to restore it to original as possible. How rare is this motor?

If someone has one for sale or trade, please let me know.

Thanks,

Dave

Michael Bullington

hey dave,,

your tractor came with a 6 hp engine,,,6=6hp ; 0=pull start ; 4=1964....this engine is fairly easy to find,,also if you find one with the starter they are real easy to convert over to a pull start by changing the engine shroud and removing the charging system,,,noone will ever see the charging coils under the flywheel, so dont worry about them...Now heres is the challenge, If you like to be 100% original like I do then you will have to find a shroud with the correct engine numbers, and this will make your challenge difficult, or it has been for me anyway,,the correct engine number is H60-75064B...

oh and by the way

also any H60 or HH60 engine will serve the purpose and 9 out 10 people will never know the difference

good luck

htopjimmy26

I gotta dumb question :hide: , isn't a h60 a tecumsuck? :hide: :D

Buzz

Your 604's original engine was a Tecumseh H60-75064B. Tecumseh bought out Lauson sometime around 1960 or 1961. H-60 are out there somewhere although as high as the price of scrap aluminum was this summer a lot of them were probably scrapped. Yeah, yeah I know............. good riddence to some but a great loss to others.

htopjimmy26

Actually I'm glad you answered my post :hide: I had no idea one bought the other , only that lawson was dead and gone. I know everyone and their brother picks on tecumsehs [i am within my rights as I own three HSK70s :hide::omg::omg: , none of which run :party::party::D:D ] but... They do sound cool in the videos of guys pulling them while holding the governor open. [How did they get them started? :party: ]

Buzz

How did they get them started?

With a lot of patience, a lot of swearing, :D and oh yeah, once we get them running we never shut them off :hide: Actually my 68 Lawn Ranger starts easy and runs good :hide:

eibbed

Hey Mike,

Since the Craigslist Posting said 8 HP Tecumsech and the gentleman said he was a lawn mower repair man, all this time I thought that it was. That is until you informed me that the original motor was an H 60 75064B and I checked the model number on my motor. Yep, I have the origional pull start engine.

I am however contemplating installing my 7 HP electric start Kohler so I don't have to pull start the mower.

Even though it starts it starts and runs well I plan to shelve the Tecumsech for now.

Thanks again,

Dave

Michael Bullington

thats good move ,,,hey if you ever decide its collecting too much dust,,,put my name on it ,,,,I definately want it

:hide:

eibbed

Thanks Mike, I will.

Dave