tommyg

Kohler RPM's

tommyg

This might be a stupid question, but I was trying to check the rpm's of my Kohler K series 18hp on my D-180. It's a twin cylinder, of course, but my 30 year old RPM meter only measures 4,6 and 8 cylinder engines. With the dial at 4 cylinders, does it make sense that if the meter measures between 1700 and 1750 RPM that it's actually running about 3400-3500 RPM at full throttle? If so, since the engine is rated at 3600 RPM at full throttle, would I benefit from making a slight adjustment or should I just leave well enough alone?

WH nut

Its up to you, but they say to run at 3600 for best result.

pfrederi

I use one of the cheap digital optical tachs.  I am not sure about your tach reading remember a D200 coil fires both cylinders at the same time...one is wasted on the exhaust stroke not sure how that affect you interpretation of the readings.

Wishin4a416

Here is what I use. An optical photo tach I reckon. It reads off the flywheel screen. Real easy to use.

post-8484-0-76661500-1430260682_thumb.jp

Anglo Traction

If it helps, this was discussed some time back and covered the use of Laser based Tachometers, an item I find invaluable for setting engine speeds of any number of cylinders. Here is a link- 

tommyg

If it helps, this was discussed some time back and covered the use of Laser based Tachometers, an item I find invaluable for setting engine speeds of any number of cylinders. Here is a link- 

Thanks Anglo Traction. Seems like this option would would not make any difference in the number of cylinders. The one I was using recorded spark from the coil.