o0Nighthawk0o

Opportunity to buy a C-175

o0Nighthawk0o

I unloaded it from the truck yesterday and am still quite impressed. It hadn't been started in 24 hours and I just bumped the key and started right up. I do have some work to do on the attachments like the belt covers on the mower deck need put back on. The cable to turn the shroud on the snow thrower isn't on correctly. I need to find a spring for the idler pulley. Some clean up, learning and some paint and I am ready to start tearing up yard and pushing horse poop.

PaulC

I unloaded it from the truck yesterday and am still quite impressed. It hadn't been started in 24 hours and I just bumped the key and started right up. I do have some work to do on the attachments like the belt covers on the mower deck need put back on. The cable to turn the shroud on the snow thrower isn't on correctly. I need to find a spring for the idler pulley. Some clean up, learning and some paint and I am ready to start tearing up yard and pushing horse poop.

That's nice that it starts that easy but the real test will be after it sits for a week or longer. If all your lines are good and sealed and you have a good flowing pump it should start quickly anytime. My 312 that I fixed up is a tough starter after sitting something I plan to try to correct this summer.

Its a bonus that you have the belt gaurds for the deck.

Mcmaster carr if you have access is a great spot for the spring and cable, if not a good local hardware store should have them. Try to find stainless steel wire rope that is pretty flexible. If you are going to have to mess with it now is a good time to change it unless its in really good shape because its a tedious process to get it adjusted just right, but when you have it it'll stay and work really good for a long time. A tip that I learned for snowblowing season is get the tractor started to let warm up, then grab the chute itself and wiggle it some and make sure its freed up. After snowblowing for a while then parking it I had an instance where melting snow got in between the chute and housing and froze, I tried to crank the handle (with some force) and it pulled the rope out on one side.

if you are internet savvy I have found its the best way to source parts. ebay is usually one of the first places I go because there is a lot of NOS parts that are at really good prices.

have fun using your new  :wh:  to push the other horses poop :laughing-rofl:

o0Nighthawk0o

OK, ran into my first snag. I looked at the tiller and it is part number 79271. This is a very new model compared to the C-175. The manual says it is for a bottom PTO. Of course mine has a side PTO. The guy I bought it from gave me a idler pulley assembly. (Picture attached)

I checked and the idler pulleys and the pulleys on the tiller line up. My question is, will this work? If so, does anyone have any idea what size belt I would need and what size/type spring I would need for the idler pulley assembly?

post-15150-0-31338400-1430346467_thumb.j

bmsgaffer

Do you have a pic of the tiller?

According to the manual it looks to me like the only difference is the model you have had an extra belt guard with an idler pulley on it... If all that has been removed then it looks like it may be the same. I have not dug into part numbers to compare though. The pulley diameter may be wrong but you could probably find the right size one.

Wheel horse was big on using the same "base model" of things and just modifying some ancillary items to fit each application.

If all the above does work, then you will probably be looking for the standard tiller belt available from toro.

Seeing that the PO got the correct mid-mount idler assembly for the c series (the part in your picture), he probably modified the tiller to work already....

o0Nighthawk0o

OK. A couple months using my new toy and so far so good. I have used the dozer blade to push horse poop and smooth out gravel in my drive and it worked very well. Just need to add some weight to keep the blade down. I love the rear discharge mower deck. Does a much better job than my side discharge deck. I plowed and tilled a 20ftX60ft garden with it and I will now have fresh veggies. I haven't used the snow thrower yet but in the middle of June that is probably a good thing.

I do have one problem. The battery isn't charging. When it's running the amp meter shows a bit on the negative side. I'm guessing about -1 to -2 amps. Not a huge issue as the tractor will run for hours on a full charge but I would like to know if anyone has any ideas.

And yes, the above pulley set worked fine with the tiller. I ended up using a 140" belt.

bmsgaffer

Probably a bad rectifier/regulator or possibly wiring issue. 

If you search for "not charging" you'll find 1001 topics on the issue. 

Also, for the blade, get a solid lift link. Then you can apply down pressure and not have to stress it with additional weight. :handgestures-thumbupright:

midpack

I have a problem like that with my 175. I've isolated it to the electrical connection to the rectifier. i can "wiggle the wires" while it's running to get the amp gage to show charge. I tried cleaning the connector and some Dielectric grease but it still acts up occasionally