Sign in to follow this  
84 400

Any idea what year my tractor is?

84 400

Well I did some research when I got it but never nailed down the year. It does have the aluminum gas tank. And the sides of the hood are recessed where the wheel horse emblem goes (covered with tape in the pics). I am not 100% it is even a 552 but that is what the side belt guard says. also the front axle is indented. I have been reading the other New old wheel horse topic and got to wondering. Thanks for any help.

Here are some pictures

2006camping072.jpg

willysmotor032.jpg

willysmotor030.jpg

that is the best I can do for pictures right now. From everything I found I am guessing 1961 or 1962?

Which models can I expect to be able to exchange parts with?

thanks a lot

DMESS

It most certainly is a 1962 model year. Although it was obviously long blocked with a newer Teccy, the original mounting plate is still there leading me to believe it IS a 552. The ammeter is the original plastic style too, so I'd guess that it was always an electric start machine and not a recoil only 502 at some point. The other 12" wheeled tractor in '62 would have been the 702 and chances are real good the Kohler would still be there if it was! :D

"Where were you in '62?" :hide:

DMESS

And now I see the rest of the picture and realize it has/had the HY2 hydraulic lift accessory. Quite rare on a 552 in my opinion. This seems to always be found on a 701, 702, 753 or 854. I've seen factory photos of the lift installed on a Lauson (Tecumseh) powered machine, but never seen one in person. What is up with the hydraulic lines and pump? I see some strange thing mounted to the side of the switch box, but can't see the pump?

CasualObserver

I'm with Dustin here, looks like a 552 from the little details like the front axle, flat frame front axle mount, louvered grille, 4430 rounded style clutch pedal and dash setup. Looks like a solid machine, would like to see more pics of it. :D

EDIT: Nevermind... guess I missed this post of yours that had more pictures! and :hide: by the way!

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=6095

DMESS

Don't feel bad, I missed the other post too. :D Shame the rest of the HY2 kit is gone. :hide:

84 400

I can't say for sure but I think this was a total one off lift cylinder. the white thing mounted to the switch box is a hand powered hydrollic pump. So maybe it did have the other set up the pump died so this was added instead??? I thought it was a home brew creation because of the bracket on that wraps around the dash. I will try to get some pictures this weekend. Although the pulley that mounts to the motor sure has enough tracts to run a pump.

So would the factory set up be similar to the one shown in this ebay ad?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...=tab%3DWatching

thanks

DMESS

The switch box, cylinder, linkage etc. are all very much HY2. As you mentioned, the pump must have been spent and they replaced it with the hand contraption. The "wrap around bracket" held the pump. If it has an extra stand alone single pully on the end of the pto shaft, that was to drive the pump.

Exactly like the one pictured except that happens to be ona 702. :hide:

HorseFixer

Id like to see more pictures :hide: take your camera off of the Macro Setting! :hide: Back up 10' :D

sorekiwi

The ammeter is the original plastic style too,

"Where were you in '62?" :hide:

Even I wasnt born in '62

When I bought my first horse, (a 73 14 Auto), my wife said "Why do you want something so old". I replied "Its not as old as you!"

Whats the deal with ammeters? The '62 models had the black rim as pictured? When did they go to the one with the chrome ring?

My '63 (Ranger)has one with chrome trim, but I'm not sure it is factory.

IMG_1834.jpg

The 502's had a chrome plug in the hole where your amp-meter is, with a switch in the middle (on/off). And as Jim (Linen) pointed out in the other thread about identifying these, the hole for the pushbutton starter switch was covered with the shift plate/serial tag. Here's a picture of mine (the throttle and choke cables are wrong).

IMG_1696.jpg

84 400

yeah I was gonna say that mine has the twist and lock cables with much smaller knobs.

The amp meter is nice to have except i don't have a charging system.... :hide: :D