Shynon

Clinton b1290

Shynon

Picked this up at the local swap meet, Clinton b1290 1121 owner said he had it running earlier today. Is this correct for an RJ? The pan seems wide compared to a k90

Thanks for looking

IMG_5476_zpssjiwqqlw.jpgIMG_5475_zpshgrmczgn.jpg

• Like 1

stevebo

A 1290 is the correct motor for an RJ58. The 1200 is correct for the RJ 35. I may be wrong but I do not think that motor is a 1290. The motor base should be squared not that style. It is possible that the oil pan could have been changed to a newer style. You will need to change the pan to the correct base. 

post-734-0-95204200-1429923772_thumb.jpg

wallfish

Maybe the spec called for that style pan. Try sending a PM to Clintonnut, Charlie.

He's not as active on the forums anymore but he might have what you need and can certainly help with any information on Clintons. VinsRJ is a good source for information too and could possibly have a pan.

trowel

Picked this up at the local swap meet, Clinton b1290 1121 owner said he had it running earlier today. Is this correct for an RJ? The pan seems wide compared to a k90

Thanks for looking

IMG_5476_zpssjiwqqlw.jpgIMG_5475_zpshgrmczgn.jpg

Yes it will work, same engine, as for fit in the RJs I have never tried that style base but the normal mounting holes are there. Two are drilled through the base, the other two are drilled and tapped. Clean the base and the holes will be found.

trowel

A 1290 is the correct motor for an RJ58. The 1200 is correct for the RJ 35. I may be wrong but I do not think that motor is a 1290. The motor base should be squared not that style. It is possible that the oil pan could have been changed to a newer style. You will need to change the pan to the correct base. 

Basic block model B-1290 without any letters added before the base model B is the same. Spec numbers calls for the changes on the basic block such as the wide mount type sump, engine mounted fuel tank, Carter cab and dry type air cleaner.

VinsRJ

Clinton B1290's can be had with both style oil pans/base plates.

The oil pan/base plate you have is incorrect for a RJ35/58. The narrow style oil pna/base plate is correct for a RJ35/58. With your style oil pan/base plate you may have to widen the mountin holes on the motor or frame of the tractor.

The "B" in B1290 stands for "balanced", prior production 1200s and A1200s were not balanced motors and tend to vibrate like a mad man even when tuned to perfection. I have a number of 1200s and B1290s and there is a noticable difference in the performance between the two models.

BTW... I believe I have a correct oil pan/base plate if you are interested.