Sign in to follow this  
kenbone8383

1054 alternator/generator

kenbone8383

I need to find a new alternator/generator for my 1054 wheelhorse. Also does any one know the two belt sizes? If so, it would be greatly apreciated!

Thanks,

Ken

linen beige

The hydro pump drive belt is part # 1591. It's cross section 3L, 3/8 wide x 7/32 high, 47.75 inches long.

The tractor drive belt is part # 1592. It' cross section 4L, 1/2 wide x 5/16 high, 82.00 inches long.

The starter drive belt is part #1593. It's cross section 3L, 34.40 inches long. This is also listed by Kohler as part #235312.

The starter/generator is Kohler part # B-275703, which is an assembly which includes the regulator. It is listed as no longer available. However, it should be pretty easy to find one since they were fairly common and not limited to this particular tractor. There may be an aftermarket unit that will replace it directly. I'll have to defer to some of the more knowledgable members on this one.

Teddy da Bear

Linen? The original starter generator is a Kohler product?

I have Delco Remy on mine. Also see that you can get a new one at Rural King.

big mike

I have heard it said there is a guy on the popular auction site that sells starter/generators but I don't know if they are new or rebuilt.You could also have your repaired unless it is in very bad shape.Most towns still have a starter/alternator/generator repair shop.Maybe try NAPA or Carquest.

linen beige

Linen? The original starter generator is a Kohler product?

Wheel horse doesn't have a part number that I could find for it since it was included with the engine, as supplied by Kohler. Hence the Kohler part number. You are correct that they were supplied to Kohler (And many other engine builders) by Delco-Remy. Good to know they are still available.

Teddy da Bear

They are about $45 I think (don't quote me).

You can also buy just the regulator separately there too.

bambooheels

just wanted to thank Mike for that web site, i never even heard of rural king. pretty cool place. do they actually ave physical stores as well? or just online. whats your opnmion on prices? are they more or less thentractor supply. thank again.

Matt

Teddy da Bear

Bamboo...... They are the "Walmart" of tractors stores. They will likely put TSC out of business in towns where they both reside at the same time. They have Carlisle tires of every size or description.....Automotive....plumbing.....hunting..fishing....clothing.....more reasonable than most.

Yes, they have physical stores. We have one here in Niles. I imagine you could go to their website for a store locator.

Or go to Delco-Remy (AC Delco??) and find out who they distribute through.

kenbone8383
Teddy are you saying that they actually sell it at Rural King?

Teddy da Bear

Well....yes......I believe I saw one. I also saw the regulator thingy.....

Where are you located? It is always good to put town and state in your profile for reference.

Kelly

If buying from a place like that, make sure you are getting a starter/genarator, not just a gen. like a old ford tractor or what ever, would use, they look the same, but won't start your tractor, I could be wrong, also the regulator has to be for a starter/gen. some one correct me if wrong please :hide:

kenbone8383

Teddy i was just on ruralking.com but could only find the generator/alternator.

Teddy da Bear

Ken....

Kelly brings up a point I had not considered.

If you give me some time... I will go down there today and check to see what I saw when I first saw it.....you see? (oh my Goodness, I sound like a warner bros. cartoon).

I looked for over an hour on the Rural King site too. Maybe they have things in the store they do not have online. And vice-versa.

I will check.

Email me if I forget to get back to you.....

Teddy da Bear

Looks like I am going to have to eat my words for now....

I went there. Found the regulators.....could not find the starter/generator.

No sales help.......figures.....

Sorry I bombed out. But I will keep looking.

BPjunk

Why not take the failed starter/generator unit to a automotive electrical rebuild shop to see how much it would cost to have this original part rebuilt? :hide::hide:

There zillions of these starter/generators out there BUT be carefull as they ALL DO NOT TURN THE SAME DIRECTION , they can also be made to put out some voltage if the regulator is tweaked :omg: and a old generator can be made into a starter/generator if wired right. :D

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

kenbone8383

Thanks teddy I really apreciate all of your help! And every one else that has given all of this information!

:hide:

Thanks,

Ken