Sign in to follow this  
ericschevy

New (Old) Wheel Horse

ericschevy

So I found this Wheel Horse on Graigslist and picked it up for $50.

The guy told me that the belt cover was missing which has the ser. and model numbers on it so he's not sure what model it is and I'm not either.

He told me that it's either a 505 or 606. Well i did a google images search and looked at a ton of them. To me, compared to the ones I seen, It looks like a 1963 633 but I'm just guessing. Can anyone tell me what model this one is? 633?

DSC00369.jpg

DSC00368.jpg

DSC00367.jpg

DSC00366.jpg

DSC00365.jpg

nwpahorseman

it is not a 505 or 606, not with the battery tray and amp gauge

ericschevy

it is not a 505 or 606, not with the battery tray and amp gauge

Yeah I know it's not, I'm in the process of searching and im caught up between 633 or 702..

mack1605

can you see a serial # on shift pattern decal?

CasualObserver

I think it's either a 653 or 753. I don't think the 633 had an amp gauge, it was a recoil start tractor. It did have the battery box, but it didn't hold a battery, it held a unique tool box insert. The dash decal makes it 1963 and earlier, and the front axle makes it 1963 and later... so 1963 is where you land.

ericschevy

I'm talking to a couple other people about this and we've decided that it looks a lot like a 753 but the thing we noticed is that the 753 does not have a recess where the horsehead decal is on the hood. Mine does..

ericschevy

can you see a serial # on shift pattern decal?

yeah it's 35242. I did some searches with that to no avail..

CasualObserver

the hood could have easily been replaced... it's the rest of the tractor that tells the model.

oh, and by the way... there is no 505... at least not in U.S. models.

ericschevy

the hood could have easily been replaced... it's the rest of the tractor that tells the model.

oh, and by the way... there is no 505... at least not in U.S. models.

Yeah I figured it wasn't a 505 or 606, I could tell that this guy didn't know anything about it..

HorseFixer

That kinda looks like the one that guy has that Id say id swap the weight for in lu of the $50.00 buckaroos :D stupid me talked to the guy tonight and I upped it $ 25.00 :hide:

bambooheels

looks to me like a 653 or 753

ericschevy

Well the only differences between the 653 and 753 that I'm coming up with is that the 653 came with a Lauson 6hp engine and the 753 came with a Kohler 7hp.

CasualObserver

Well the only differences between the 653 and 753 that I'm coming up with is that the 653 came with a Lauson 6hp engine and the 753 came with a Kohler 7hp.

That is correct. Otherwise, they are exactly the same.

linen beige

the hood could have easily been replaced...

:hide:

Notice that the front lower mounting tab is set back from the front of the frame? The factory thumbscrews aint that long.

Yet it does have the reinforcing band along the bottom of the hood sides. Late '62 hood by chance?

The rest of the machine IS a '63. Any wiring left that might indicate whether it was wired for a Kohler or a Lauson?

JimD

the hood on yours is identical to the 753 in my avatar, with the decal dimple and rolled over bottom reinforement. also, yours has the step out front axle plate like mine. i think pre 1963 had a flat plate. it looks like it boils down to the original engine. i don't know of any other single distiguishing feature that would tell you for sure. :hide:

Duff

I've got nothing by way of knowledge to add to this discussion, but I thought I'd throw in a hearty :D !

As you can see, a lot of good folks here with an incredible wealth of knowledge they're always willing to share!

Duff :hide:

canam1991

:wtf: :hide: is that a craftsman in the background?????? :omg::hide::D :omg:

ericschevy

:wtf: :hide: is that a craftsman in the background?????? :omg::hide::D:omg:

LMFAO, Yeah. You mean that brand new pile that's blew the head gaskets 2 times...

Thanks for the welcome everyone..

ericschevy

:hide:

Notice that the front lower mounting tab is set back from the front of the frame? The factory thumbscrews aint that long.

Yet it does have the reinforcing band along the bottom of the hood sides. Late '62 hood by chance?

The rest of the machine IS a '63. Any wiring left that might indicate whether it was wired for a Kohler or a Lauson?

So I take it that's the wrong hood..great..

I thought that was funny when I sat the hood on there for the pictures..

canam1991

You mean that brand new pile that's blew the head gaskets 2 times...

Thanks for the welcome everyone..

hahahahaha :hide: Thats these new tractors for you :D they cost as much as my d 250 which will last 250 times longer ( or any wheel horse of course) :horseplay:

DMESS

Kids, that's the right hood, it just appears to be bent quite a bit causing the misalignment. The reinforcement was added around the bottom in late '62 early '63. I think the '62 Lawn Rangers had it, but I know the 502, 552 and 702 did not. This is a 653 or 753. Tell tale sign might be if the frame shows signs of a plate mounted Lauson or the block directly to frame Kohler. I know this is really reaching and would only show up by chance as markings in the paint/dirt if the frame isn't overly rusty. Look at it this way, you can make it which ever one you can find the proper engine for! :hide:

oldandred

What the heck its a wheel horse 753 or 653 make it what you want

:banana: :banana: :banana:

linen beige

So I take it that's the wrong hood..great..

I thought that was funny when I sat the hood on there for the pictures..

I agree with Dustin. It looks like the front has been pushed back enough to cause the gap I was talking about.

ericschevy

Yeah I was looking at it today, if you look in the 4th pic you can see a buckle right under the decal like it's been pushed in. I bet if I hammer or clamp the sides it will push the bottom out enough to reach the mount..