Anglo Traction

Got a kinda nice surprise today

Anglo Traction

Paid a visit again to the first home of my Raider 12 down in Billingshurst Sussex today to meet up with the Daughter and Son-In-Law of the Lady I bought the Tractor from back in 2008. The Lady (no longer with us) fortunately she was able to see pictures of how it looked after I got it cleaned up and working. It looked like this after it laid derelict for at least 18 years - 

post-3520-0-40264400-1428618157.jpg

post-3520-0-21199200-1428618210.jpg

Most you know what it looks like now, but to digress.

Today, I was given a DVD that has been compiled from old Super 8 film they had found in the Attic when preparing to move out which told the story of their Home they had made and the Smallholding (Miniature Farm) over the years between 1969- 2005.

To my surprise, there is some footage of the Day the Raider 12 was delivered in 1972 and is shown being driven cutting the grass. Quality is not good and I had to take a screen shot from it-

post-3520-0-74282700-1428618938_thumb.gi

You may notice the Deck is the 2 Blade shaft drive type......

What they never mentioned was that they also had a little Lawn Ranger earlier back in 1969 and is seen in this screen shot also from Super 8 footage-

post-3520-0-62632600-1428618917_thumb.gi

And I didn't know this type of Ranger had the bright plated Lift Lever !.

It was also a very pleasant first warm day of the year for me as well :icecream:  

• Like 7

meadowfield

Very nice surprise, a unique piece of footage. Can't be many folks who have first day footage of their horse :)

• Like 2

Sparky

Now that's a great find!!

I cant imagine having a video of one of my Wheel horse's from the day it was new.

Very lucky you are!

I wonder if the deck under the Raider is the one that was under the Ranger :scratchead:  ?

Mike......

• Like 1

dclarke

That's really a nice thing to have. Very cool!

• Like 1

Anglo Traction

Now that's a great find!!      I cant imagine having a video of one of my Wheel horse's from the day it was new.

Very lucky you are!    I wonder if the deck under the Raider is the one that was under the Ranger  ?   Mike......

Yes Mike, I was real pleased with the DVD and seeing it when new. 

The Deck (same as the L/Ranger 5-2322) is the original. Modified to fit the Tractor at the Assembly Plant in Belgium.

Euro models were adapted to use up the old versions unsold in the U.S. Belgium also used up all the old Short Frame Hood Decals from the Named Models.

This Raider 12, being one of the new (ish) range of Long Frames had the front Tach-a-Matic mount, but not used.

Also the rear pivot Frame holes for the 'T' bar Lift, near the Transmission were undrilled. It had the Belt Tensioner unit fitted where the rear bolt fits in the Mid Mount Bracket on the R/hand side.

See next pic-

post-3520-0-25416800-1428791270.jpg

Here's another blurry Screen Shot of it in 1982 (best view I could get) where is was used for Stump pulling !. It is now looking a bit of a sorry state with no Deck or Lift Lever and the rear light is damaged and obviously used for general labouring/towing before being laid up around 1988 -

post-3520-0-98902600-1428791792_thumb.gi

And just a reminder of what it now look's like and the only change is the use of the U.S version of the Long Frame Hood Decals (Ed Mayhews) and Stainless Button Head Screws on the Grass Screen-

post-3520-0-42025500-1428792551_thumb.jp

• Like 8

wheeledhorseman
:bow-blue:Better than factory Richard, better than factory! That video is priceless, so rare to get hold of something like that!

I think I posted this before somewhere on the site but here's a period photo my son's partner dug out from her collection of family pics.

Morton_Manor.thumb.jpg.5aeabddcfca8470c0

Taken at Morton Manor on the Isle of Wight when Annie was a child. If I remember correctly (she'll shoot me if I get it wrong) that's her grandfather standing and uncle fixing something. Her family were into WHs and the other pic taken at Hasely Manor shows another uncle with his horse.

Hasley_Manor.thumb.jpg.dfafea6badfa8ba40

Anyone else got any period WH pics to share?

Andy
  • Like 2