badhorse800

wheel horse 12 automatic

badhorse800

hi I have a wheel horse 12 automatic that i am trying to get running. with that being said i have a few problems that i need to figure out. the first is the starter will not crank over by turning the key, however it will turn over the engine if i connect the battery directly to it. that leads me to believe that it is the starter solenoid or the ignition switch, is there any way that i can figure out which one is bad without replacing both? the second is it doesn't get spark,which that could also be connected to to the bad ignition switch or solenoid. the engine that is on the tractor is an older one that still has the point style ignition. this is the first time i have ever dealt with this style ignition. thanks in advance for any help

Spenser

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

The 1973 12hp Auto should have this engine K301S-47421d which uses a battery powered ignition. See if you have 12 volts at the ignition coil (+) terminal with the key in both START and RUN positions. If you do then use a file to clean the point contact surfaces and clean them well. When you get the engine to crank with the key check the voltage on the ignition coil (-) terminal. If the points are making good contact the voltage should go to 0 volts when the points are closed and 12 volts when the points are open so it should alternate as you are cranking the starter. If that is happening you should have spark.

There are 2 safety switches on the starter circuit. The pto must be OFF to close that switch and the transmission neutral safety switch should be closed with the motion control lever in neutral. That should give you battery power at the small terminal on the solenoid with the key in the Start position.

or

to check the solenoid apply battery power to the small terminal on the solenoid and see if the starter motor engages.

All battery power goes through the ammeter before it goes to the ignition switch.

Operator manual with wiring diagram

Illustrated parts list

D&A

A test light should be sufficient for the above tests.

Let us know what you find.

Garry

KC9KAS

:WRS:  and as Garry said...see our manuals section for wiring diagrams.

AMC RULES

:text-+1:

:WRS:

badhorse800

thanks again for the information. On another note I also would like to know which of the two styles of transmissions I have on my tractor. how can I do this since I am relatively new to fixing and restoring lawn and garden tractors?

Spenser

gwest_ca

Should be an aluminum ID plate riveted to the left side of the hood stand below the fuel tank tray. The tractor model number and serial are stamped into it.

Garry