Ponder

Please someone help me out. 416-8

Ponder

If you frequent these posts, you may remember my post concerning removing the input shaft bearing for replacement. I took some advise and a chisel and tried unsuccessfully to remove the seal and bearing. I took it to my local toro wheel horse dealer to make the repairs. Lillian's called me today with the bad news. In attempting to chisel this out, I busted the casting inside the case. He said I need to find a input shaft side case for a 416-8 for a 1" axle. A case side for a 11/2" axle will not work. Can you guys help me locate one asap? I would be forever grateful. The mower is at the dealer and the service manager said he could give me a few days to find one but he couldn't leave it disassembled in the shop for more than a few days due to their limited space this time of year. Thanks again for any help you guys can give me.

rmaynard

I think you will be more successful finding a complete transmission. Save the labor of having yours rebuilt. Plenty of good, complete, working transmissions out there.

Ponder

I'll take a complete transmission. Where is it and the price?

rmaynard

Place a want ad and see what you get.

stevasaurus

Ponder, send a PM to "racinfool40" Mike.  He is in Ohio, but he rebuilds these trannys and sells them.  :)

How the heck did you crack a housing tapping out a bearing???  :eusa-think:

Ponder

It's east with a hammer and chisel with someone telling you that you can remove the bearing from the outside.

stevasaurus

Where did you find someone that said you could remove a bearing from the outside...I read your other post...it said you were a mechanic.   :eusa-think:   Mike should be able to help you out if you are short on time.  Make sure you get the rest of those parts from your friendly dealer...Mike may take those in trade and lessen the price.

Ponder

Stevasaurus. Thanks, I have sent him a pm.

• Like 1

Ponder

Do you guys think I should just go ahead and buy the side case new for $430 and chalk it up to a lesson learned?

stevasaurus

Make sure you tell him you have a 4pinion with 1"  axles...although an 8pinion with 1 1/8" axles should bolt right on.  :)  He might just have one of those case halves.

DO NOT BUY THE SIDE CASE NEW FOR THAT PRICE!!!  Sorry for shouting there.  :)  You can probably get another horse for that money. :bow-blue:

• Like 1

racinfool40

Pm replied...I have 1" axle 8 speed cases here but I am completely out of 1-1/8th 8 speed cases....

slammer302

EBay might have a whole trans for sale

• Like 1

Ponder

Yes. I indicated to him it is for a 1" axle.

Racinfool 1" is what I need! Let me know.

racinfool40

Ponder check your Pm's I sent you my number to call me....Are you sure it's 1" axles....all the info I have says they were 1-1/8th axle in the 416-8's..need some othe rinfo from you to be sure I have the right one.....we had a problem here before with the 1533 bearing...will need to know if yours has the 1533 bearing or the newer 111199 bearing.

Edited by racinfool40
  • Like 1

Ponder

How do I check my pm's ?

Ponder

Racinfool. Please let me know where to find your pm. I can't seem to find it to get your #

racinfool40

scroll to the top of the screen...should be a little envelope on the top right of the screen by you name.

stevasaurus

Ponder, you are in good hands now.  :)

BTW...Welcome to Red Square.

gwest_ca

There were 3 transmission models used in the 416-8 models and all three have 1-1/8" axles. Has this transmission been replaced previously to get the 1" axles and if so with which one? 

Model 5086

Model 110996

I did not compare these 2 to see if the cases are the same.

Garry

• Like 1

racinfool40

Think we have things going in the right direction....Ponder is gonna call his service teck in the AM to verify a few things and get with me.... :)

• Like 1

Ponder

Guest. This wheel horse is absolutely as it came from the factory. Still has original tires even. Has 500 hours on it. The master toro wheel horse tech says its 1". He said specifically it was not the 11/8 inch. I don't know how it could have came about but This wheel horse came with the 1 inch axle. Go figure.

stevasaurus

Thanks Garry and Mike.  :)

Ponder...ask your Toro Tech how many pinions in the differential.  It is an easy question.  If it is 4 pinions...it is 1" axles.  If it is 8 or maybe 10 pinions...it is 1 1/8" axles.  Things did happen when they built these horses...anything is possible here.

Lagersolut

oops. wrong one.

Edited by Lagersolut