Sign in to follow this  
HorseFixer

Looky What I Brought Home!

HorseFixer

Okay I missed that auction I wanted to go to south of Fort Wayne Ind today, :banghead: but I got a call from a guy I knew that said he wanted to sell me a Wheel Horse Item. :D The same guy had a 701 that I tried to buy from him this spring but he wouldn't come up off of it and he said that he wanted $650.00 for it. :D

That was a little to rich for me <_< but today he said that another guy was wanting it and he was going to give him $350.00 for it :lol: but he couldn't quite get the money together. :thumbs:

I told him to stay put and give me an hr to get there so I scurried off to the bank got my cash together and went home and hooked up the Duke's WH Hauler and I was out at his house as quick as I could get there. :omg: After haggling with him I said tell ya what Ill do. Ill pay ya $350.00 cash for the 701 right now if ya throw in those bUgEyE headlights for $50.00. "He wanted $100.00 for them a montha ago when I asked him" :( Well he accepted my offer. :(

Now another good thing about this whole deal is that it has a HY-2 Hydraulic unit intact on the 701 that works perfectly! :banana: and the engine starts right up no smoke and runs like a champ. :horseplay: The bad part of it is the hood in front has been waffled with holes prolly some lame attempt to get more air to the engine :USA: The other bad thing is that someone went crazy over the years with yellow paint! :D and then painted back over it with red! YIKES any way it did help protect it from rusting! :lol: and defiantly will need a face lift.

While I was at his place I spied a set of 953 rear wheel weights and a set of RJ front wheel weights, I told him to seal the deal I would give him $ 50.00 for the 953 wheel weights and $ 25.00 for the RJ front weights. Not a steal but not over priced either. So what ya think? $ 475.00 for all the stuff? If anyone See's anything I need for the tractor lemme know.

Thanks Duke

WH701001.jpg

WH701014.jpg

WH701016.jpg

WH701018.jpg

WH701019.jpg

WH701020.jpg

BuGeYeS001.jpg

BuGeYeS002.jpg

bowtieguy

Nice one Duke....did ya tell MJ before ya left???.....I really like that grill...gives it some "Character"......I have part of one with a HY-2 system but the starter button is located to the left of the center stand....maybe that is the difference in a 702 and a 701

Ole Jerry would probably give you double your money for it...he likes em' YELLAR Wheel Horses...just ask him! :banghead:

KyBlue

Thats a pretty nice score IMO ... I dont think the hood will be that bad to fix, Id cut out the holy eh section, since it looks like they did it only to the raised portion, and weld in new metal the same thickness, just be careful not to warp the part with too much heat... gotta stitch weld it.!

Sparky

Looks good to me Duke :banghead: . Have fun getting all those layers of paint off tho :USA: .

Mike.........

evanloock

Since the 701 had the key switch & starter button in the control panel instead of having the starter button in the hood stand as the 702, the 701 did not need the side mounted starter box. Additionally those headlights currently on the tractor look original. They 1st became available in 62 or 63 I believe and predate the HL-5 lights. They use the same light assembly as the 953. I have a brochure that has them on a 753 and Dustin Messinger has a set on his Granddad's 702.

HorseFixer

evanloock ~ Thanks any information on the headlights would be great. You could send it to me off my website link.

Steven Tickster I was incorrect on the cover as you can see it is there intact and yes it has the imbossed area for the 702 decal its not smooth.

Thanks Duke

Rollerman

Duke other than the color combination & the holes drilled at the front of the hood...It looks great.

Ya did good. :USA: :banghead:

Rideawaysenior

Lookin at that yeller paint, I'm wonderin if one a Jerry's horses ran away. :USA: :horseplay: :banghead:

BPjunk

Duke,

Eric is correct in the head lights on this 701 are a original set that came out in 1962. Although not as pretty as a KL-5 head light set the side mounted lights from 1962 are 50 times rarer! :banghead:

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

bell

NICE SCORE!!!!! :banghead:

I will have a HY-2 someday..... :USA: and the KL-5... :omg:

BPjunk

Uh Oh an them Bug Eye lens ain't exactly sumtin' ya' find in a cerial box every day either! :banghead:

Good Horse Huntin' Duke.

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

Michael Bullington

funny thing about that hood is I have seen 3 other wheel horses around the county with similiar holes....I just wonder if it is possible wheel horse modified some hoods until they changed to the grills. Anyone seen these besides me?

saguaro

I kind of like the color. Looks like it's on fire. :banghead:

taycotrains

Nice stuff !!! You did good on that deal !

You spent a lot of money but you got a lot of good stuff...

and a nice (but ugly) tractor ,but that can be fixed !

This is what your headlights looked like when they where new.

P1030122.jpg

P1030114.jpg

BT

HorseFixer

WoW thanks Wild Bill & taycotrains! :banghead: Any way I could get a copy of that litature :omg: And thanks to the rest of you for the fine words of me yellow submarine tractor! :lol: Yep she is one ugly beast at present but as I said before they put enough paint on the ole Gal that may have kept some rust off of her! :lol:

Stone henge you have an Idea there??????? But I :thumbs: dunno So are there any other hoods that can replace this one other than another 701?

Also who makes reproduction plastic dashes?

Thanks Guys! :USA: Duke

bambooheels

very nice deal! you did great in my opinion, ive seen the lights sell on up toward 200 on ebay alone, and wheel weights, hydro, good deal. wish you all the luck with it, keep us posted on updates.

Suburban 550

Nice find Duke, well worth the money. Nothing some paint stripper and a little elbow grease can't fix. Guess I know what will be parked next to me at next years show.

CasualObserver

Note the seller.... he's a member here.

And Duke! Holy buckets... lemme see if I got this tally right...... you got an HL-22 AND and HL-5, a working HY-2 on a good running 701 with the correct double wide starter generator guard and some weights in that deal!?!?!? You should have bought a powerball ticket last weekend too... you probably missed out! Awesome score!! Definitely a steal in my book. :banghead:

wh500special

Thanks for the plug on my listing!

Yep, that's my hood. the holes are drilled (not punched) and their placement isn't very orderly so it is definately a DIY type of modification.

I don't have any of my service bulletins handy, but perhaps there was one that suggested drilling such holes? Seems like they really wouldn't help cooling in the least to me, but who knows. maybe helps prevent exhaust from recirculating into the air intake.

Or the PO just got a new drill and had to try it on something....

I too have seen several 701 hoods perforated like this but I really don't think it was a factory suggested modification.

Steve

HorseFixer

Note the seller.... he's a member here.

And Duke! Holy buckets... lemme see if I got this tally right...... you got an HL-22 AND and HL-5, a working HY-2 on a good running 701 with the correct double wide starter generator guard and some weights in that deal!?!?!? You should have bought a powerball ticket last weekend too... you probably missed out! Awesome score!! Definitely a steal in my book. :thumbs:

Yes except one hitch in the deal The 953 wheel weights were separated in two halves when put in the Dukes Horse Hauler 1 pair on one side and 1 on the other and they don't match!!! :banghead: The center hole is way to small for a 953 on one set!.. :lol: So the guy is giving me my $50.00 buckaroos back on those or he has a looks like maybe a 753 or something missing an engine. I told him I will take that in Lu of the $50.00 buckaroos and he can have his mismatched weights back. I can always use rims and stuff and looks like it has a good seat and pan and fenders. Anyways that's correct Tractor the way ya see it for $350.00 bUgEyEs for $ 50.00 for a total of $ 400.00 The RJ- wheel weights for $25.00 The only bad thing was the 953 weights in the whole deal but maybe that 753 will pan out!

WoW isn't that sum-pin on how guys drill that hood? I talked to Wild Bill yesterday and he doesn't think the hole drilling thing is a factory mod also! :omg: And I talked to him on the lights also and now that I have seen those I think I know where there is another set at! To be honest with you I thought they were some half baked bull chit crap some one threw on there :lol: thanks guys for rescuing me! :USA: Anyways she is an ugly duckling and most likely will be the first I restore :D Unlike Jerry me don't like no YELLER in me barn! :D

Duke

wh500special

To be honest with you I thought they were some half baked bull chit crap some one threw on there

:D

As if everything else WH devised over the years was NASA spec... :hide:

Funny.

Steve

CasualObserver

I don't have any of my service bulletins handy, but perhaps there was one that suggested drilling such holes? Seems like they really wouldn't help cooling in the least to me, but who knows. maybe helps prevent exhaust from recirculating into the air intake.

I was thinking the same thing Steve... I flipped through my SB collection a little bit and don't see one on that though.

HorseFixer

Nice find Duke, well worth the money. Nothing some paint stripper and a little elbow grease can't fix. Guess I know what will be parked next to me at next years show.

Thanks Ray.. as I stated in a painting thread a couple days ago I think.... It was a pure pleasure of mine setting up next to you! I could brush my teeth and shave in your hood... :hide: I kept hoping some of that paint would jump off yer 550 on mine but it didn't happen! :D If I could do half the job you did on yers I would be ecstatic! :hide:

Duke