stevebo

1998 520 LXI Worker Rehab - Survivor

stratostar250

Wow, You're working quick on that thing, have you even had it a week yet? :laughing-rofl:  Body work and paint are my next things to figure out, for sure.  I have a couple things I'd like to restore and or spruce up.  

stevebo

I figured out what I am going to with the front bumper. After searching ebay for a generic bumper guard I remembered that I had a front weight set from my 520. I simply took them off the bracket and mounted them directly to the front bumper which is pretty heavy duty. I had to cut the standoffs on an angle to fit. I am not sure if they should be black to match the frame or red to match the sheet metal. I can always change the color if I do not like it. I am very sure that nothing is going to crack this bumper !!

On the back I mounted a suitcase weight bracket that I bought from squonk at the show last year. The plan for it was to mount it on my 520 with snowblower but that did not happen. I already had the suitcase weights. I think I added over 200lbs to the tractor. I like it...

post-734-0-83978800-1428428792_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-77421000-1428428805_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-95855700-1428428932_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-16969500-1428428947_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-67690000-1428429114_thumb.jpg

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Boy Steve. Your moving on it high speed. Nice job.

Glenn

stevebo

Did a few more things... Painted and installed a drawbar hitch. Never came with one. Installed large eye bolts on each side of the rear bracket to tie ropes to and such. Painted the suitcase weights and the weight bracket.  :banana-tux: I have the D250 sitting next to it in the garage. Gives you and idea how big the D250 really is.

post-734-0-36512700-1428442417_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-61008200-1428442480_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-49056000-1428442499_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-08756700-1428442545_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

shallowwatersailor

I like the fabricated bumper and it should be stronger than the plastic valance.  :)  It should still work with a snowplow installed but won't with a snowthrower/snowblower.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Where did you get that drawbar hitch Steve? I like that. Can you post a couple better pics of it? Looks really good................

Glenn

stevebo

No snowblower on this one. I have a dedicated 520 set up with a two stager and cab.

Where did you get that drawbar hitch Steve? I like that. Can you post a couple better pics of it? Looks really good................

Glenn

Glenn-

When you say drawbar hitch do you mean the suitcase weight bracket? The drawbar hitch is just a regular hitch that attaches to the back of the rear end.

• Like 1

Forest Road

I'm dropping mine at your place for a makeover! You want it with or without the loader?

Looking good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevebo

No loader please.... :ychain:

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

No snowblower on this one. I have a dedicated 520 set up with a two stager and cab.

Glenn-

When you say drawbar hitch do you mean the suitcase weight bracket? The drawbar hitch is just a regular hitch that attaches to the back of the rear end.

yes sir, the weight bracket. I stand corrected. Looks great,,,,,and those weights,,,,40 pounders. I have been trying to figure something for my xi for "future" use. Ty Steve. Although I must confess to have not been doing much at all on any of the wheel horses. House painting and house repairs have been taking my time. Getting ready to sell the home. Sigh sigh sigh........

Glenn

stevebo

Today I started to paint the inside of the tins and the two mower decks. The 44" came with the tractor and the other one is a 48" that needs all new bearings and not sure if anything else. I did a little barter with a local buddy of mine for it. Ideally I would like to find a nice 52" or 60" deck but these will work until I can find one. Tomorrow I plan on painting the outside of the pieces. 

I had a new gallon of Valspar IH red. It has been a while since I used it and I went a little light on the hardener as I did not need much shine on the inside of the tins however it will take longer to dry. Hopefully they are dry enough in the morning to handle them...

post-734-0-72574500-1428708821_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-49330300-1428708837_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

stevebo

I finished the painting this morning. I am very happy with the paint. Not perfect as a few little bugs decided to land on the wet paint and the darn compressor wanted to spit out some water though the line into the gun. I made a point to drain the water out of the tank prior to painting. Overall looks really nice and hope to get it back together tomorrow. The rear set pan and tunnel need to be connected prior to putting it on the tractor so.......... I am gonna need some help (hint hint)

post-734-0-37194700-1428793550_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-08040600-1428793566_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-17151500-1428793584_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

fireman

I'm working tomorrow so i'm out. Monday i'll be around. You got to get yourself a water/filter trap for that compressor so you get nice clean dry air.

stevebo

I borrowed the compressor from Rudy as my big one is down in the barn and the small one is just too small and would not keep up.

Ken B

I'm busy all day working out in the yard and other projects under the careful watch of Mrs. B

Paint looks real nice!

Edited by Ken B

AMC RULES

Tins do look awesome Steve.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

papaglide

Tractors looking real sharp my man!

stevebo

Well the tractor is just about done. Stopped at TSC today to pick up a few small speed nuts I needed for the rear tail lights but they are too short :banghead: ... Everything is done except the tail lights. I am not sure if I am going to wet sand and buff in a few days or if I am just going to buff.  I also need to repaint the wheels as they have some rust on the fronts. Terry's decals are top notch as always. Here she is... Used her to pull the roller around the yard today (and my neighbor's yard too :hide: ...

post-734-0-01344200-1428875790_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-05805200-1428875838_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-72360400-1428875989_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-36164500-1428876002_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Ken B

Looks real nice. Don't forget to paint the mower deck wheels.. :hide:

stevebo

Brennan actually painted the fronts. The backs are two different wheels. Either way this deck is not going to be on here long. Gonna get the 48 up and running unless I can find a 52 or a 60"

stratostar250

Considering I saw this tractor the day before you picked it up, I'd say you did an awesome job cleaning it up!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

stevebo

A quick video of a first ride... 

IMG_3775.MOV

• Like 1

stevebo

Considering I saw this tractor the day before you picked it up, I'd say you did an awesome job cleaning it up!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Tom-

Thanks- Before and after photo. 

post-734-0-08988600-1428882150_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-53491300-1428882176_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

grnlark

Looks great Steve

muz123

A+++++++