jawhite

SB 421 rear end

jawhite

I have an SB 421 with a Uni-Drive rear. Model # of rear end maybe 5086. It has never been serviced and is full of crap! At this point it will no longer go into either high or low range.I need to get it going before next winter as I use it for snow blowing my 600 foot driveway. I am looking for someone in the central Pennsylvania area (mifflin county or close) who may be able to service or give good advice on how to repair. This tractor was owned by my now departed parents and is only the second tractor they ever owned. The first one was also a Wheel Horse ! Please e-mail any helpful info to jawhite57@verizon.net

• Like 1

slammer302

I would say the hi low shift fork is broken hope you can get it going again

• Like 1

Racinbob

I'd suggest starting by flushing it out real good. It may take more than once if it's as bad as it sounds. A lot of guys use diesel fuel to flush it. See what happens after that. It kinda sounds like you may have an issue with it. If you have to open it up there's plenty of help for the asking here.

stevasaurus

I am inclined to agree...the hi/low shift fork is bent or broke.  This is relatively common and happens when not stopping to a full stop before shifting.  It is fixable, but you have to drop the trans and split it.  Sounds like a clean out is in order anyway.  Here is a link to the manual for your tractor.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/download/3702-tractor-1982-sb-421-8-speed-da-tiplpdf/

Here is a link to a picture tutorial of what is inside and what you have to deal with.  Check this out first and see what you think.  I have some videos of putting the trans back together if you want to tackle this.  It is really not that hard to do if you have a few simple tools.  :)  Let us know what you think...we will walk you through it. Click on the link below.

BTW...Welcome to Red Square  :)