Sign in to follow this  
bluetuna08

1967 1257

bluetuna08

I have been driving by a 1257 for 3 years and it hasnt moved an inch...just sitting outside. well since I am new to the wheel horse game and just enlightened I actually realized what kind of tractor was parked there.

today an old man was sitting on it as a drove by so I stopped to talk with him. I said this might sound strange but I would like to buy that tractor you are sitting on. he says...why do you want this its an old junker. I told him that I enjoy restoring old wheel horse and collect them...OOPS!...after I said the word collect I could practically see the cartoon dollar signs in his eyes.

all of a sudden the 1257 (which he new absolutely nothing about until I started explaining it to him how it operated) was his most prized posesstion from his dead brother and he couldnt part with it for any reason...he says but...what would you be willing to pay.

I told him that he should keep it and take care of it instead of leave it out. I began telling him how to restore it and the types of colors and where he could get decals for it (red square).

he basically lost interest in taling with me when he realized I was not going to offer a big sum of money.

I bet it sits outside all winter even though he said he wants to fix it up and take care of it.

I hope I inspired him to get into horses but I honestly doubt it.

CasualObserver

...why do you want this its an old junker.

ah young one.... soon you'll learn. The correct answer to that question is "Because I have one just like it that's broke down and I need a couple parts." :banghead:

kpinnc

Or tell him it's worth $75 for scrap...

And offer him $25.... :banghead:

Kevin

Rollerman

This could be put in the pet peeves I guess.

I have nothing wrong with paying a fair price for a decent tractor...but you come across someone like this quite often.

Has a tractor sitting outside "returning to earth" & wants to check ebay to see what it's worth or says that was only built one year & thinking big dollars.

Reminds me of when I found the Pond Lever Steers last fall...the guy offered them to me both for $150 since he was going to cut them up for scrap.

Next day before I could get back to them a counter offer was made & I was a crook for not wanting to pay more. :banghead:

Woops...sorry about the rant.

BT I know where your comeing from....I know of half a dozen or so rotting away.

big mike

Don't feel too bad....he may have been sitting there reminicing about his brother and the next time you stop he may realize he cannot give it the care it deserves.No,I don't REALLY believe that,even though I want to.Keep looking and talking to people,I even have my dentist looking for tractors for me :banghead:

Rollerman

Getting :banghead: here, but Mike I know your into Cubs & Horses atleast.

Please tell me your dentist isn't a Deere fan & you have a one tooth smile. :USA:

bluetuna08

I will let him sit on it and sometime this winter when he has to plow or shovel around it I will make an offer.

I am up in maine and I do not see a lot of 1960s WH's so when they come up I get all goofy...just ask my wife :banghead: