randym

no room for chains on rear wheels of '92 520-H?

randym

Just picked up a 1992 520-H to take advantage of the hydraulic lift when using my two-stage snow thrower. My son's helping me work out a few mechanical issues; in meantime, I'm puzzled about putting chains on the rear tires. I've always used Wheel Horse 50 lb. weights and chains on my 312-8 with no problem. But as you can see on the attached photo (hope it attaches) there is only about 1/4" clearance between the inside of my rear tires and the gas tank supports. No way chains will clear that. The wheels as currently mounted appear to be flush with the end of the axle. (Hope I've got my terminology right.) Is this normal? Do you think there might be some spacers missing that would hold the wheels out further? Also, while you're being helpful, anyone know if the wheel weights I used on my 312-8 (with smaller wheels) will fit the wheels on my 520-H? What about the bolts; will they be long enough? (Tires on 520-H are 23 x 10.5 x 12. Tires on 312-8 are 22 x 9 x 12).

Son is suggesting I put the smaller wheels and tires from the 312-8 on the 520-H, and put the larger wheels and tires from the 520-H on the 312. That way, don't have to worry about buying new chains, and perhaps buying new weights. I will be using the 312 for mowing, the 520-H for snowblowing.

Thanks.

post-14822-0-16953400-1426438680_thumb.j

rmaynard

Are your hubs flush with the ends of the axles?

randym

Yes, hubs are flush with axles.

rmaynard

By the way, :WRS:

10.5" tires are a little fat if mounted on 7" rims. What size are your rims?

baerpath

Wheel Horse offered spacers to put the tire out farther. Any good auto parts place should have them  or you can make your own.  I would probably just switch tires and rims around for now

Edited by baerpath

randym

I'm not sure what size rims are. I assumed these were factory stock all the way around. Tire size matches what owner's manual says. Unfortunately, bad back prevents me from taking off wheels myself right now and seeing any more detail; will have to wait till son's next visit!

squonk

randym

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the advice.

ericj

somebody probably put the wrong wheels on your 520 with the wrong off set when you change the wheels over to the 312 look at the back space on both rims, if wrong tou should be able to measure the difference and be sure, even though the rims are different widths the back space should be the same. good luck

eric j  

• Like 1

Eric C

Eric J beat me to it. I agree exactly.

I swapped out 23x8.5 AG tires (on 7.5rims) that were on my 520 with 23x10.5 turfs (on 8.5 rims)that were from my Crapsman GT. The offset on the Sears rims didn't allow room for chains either. Iirc, the tire rubbed on the left side. To remedy this, I used 2" wheel spacers from xtreme motor works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Eric C

AMC RULES

:WRS:

cleat

Are you sure the wheels are bolted on properly with the deep dish in. Also, tire valves should be on the inside.

My 520's all have lots of space on the inside.

Cleat

randym

Holy cow, cleat, you may be onto something. I'll have to look at that because, by gosh, the stems are on the outside. And come to think of it, the stems are on the inside for my 312-8 and my 312-A. And I also remarked to my son when we brought the tractor home that the distance between the front wheels (outside edge to outside edge) seemed a lot greater on the front of this tractor than the rear. Here's hoping it's something this simple. Thanks.

randym

Although I would note that chrome Wheel Horse hubcaps are on those wheels, and I wouldn't think the hubcaps would fit on the wrong side of the wheel, would they?

randym

Here's a photo of the wheel as mounted. It looks to be mounted proper direction to me; same as wheels on my other Wheel Horse tractors (312-8 and 312-A). Even though valve stem is facing out on this tire, unlike on my other tractors.

post-14822-0-01859100-1426452090_thumb.j

post-14822-0-36249000-1426452102_thumb.j

post-14822-0-71205400-1426452115_thumb.j

Eric C

They are definitely not WH wheels. The offset should be about 1 1/2 to 2 inches. Not sure. Here's a pic or 3 of my original wheels. 461fcd85f0d293cbeadb40eb16378b56.jpg

22c105b57ee8c4f5341542a24b38030d.jpg

3840332bdd05faae2a93b61d7e030c2e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rmaynard

I have 7-1/2" rims on my 416-H. From the back of the rim at the center hole to the edge of the rim at the tire is 2". I think you have the wrong rims. Without the proper width from the outside of one rear tire to the other, you have a very unstable tractor.

randym

That has to be it, Eric. Thanks so much for taking the time to help.

randym

Thanks, also, rmaynard. Suspect I'll be spending a fair amount of time around here as my son and I work on getting this tractor back in fighting shape. 

squonk

I think JD and Cubs have different offset I had a set off a green one that looks like what you have