redsquarebob

wheel horse parting opinion

scotty

But i don't agree with people making a "business" of ruining pieces of history. Toro isn't the only one that sells parts either there's plenty of after market parts and reproductions. I'm glad there's people like wheehorseman 1000 who makes the brinley hitches so people don't part out nice machines for there hitches. Thats just one example of a REPRODUCTION part thats "No longer avaliable" from toro that you can still get. Theres ways around parting out machines.

Edited by scotty

bmsgaffer

I need a hood for an 1964 854. It has holes in it and lets assume that its rusted beyond repair (i.e. welding, putty, etc. wont work).

How do I replace that if someone doesn't sell me a used one that's not rusted out already? :scratchead:

I agree that its sad to see so many quick fix machines being parted out sometimes, but it is not economical to reproduce every part. My hood for example, was stamped out on a very large die that may or may not still exist, but the man-hours to recreate that by hand would cost 3-5 TIMES what the whole tractor is worth. :jaw:  (If I am wrong, please get me a price quote!)

Another example is the infamous 1533 bearing. People have been trying to find a replacement for that for years. Bearing manufacturers wont even answer your emails if your production run is under 10-50,000 units. At probably $10-20 a piece wholesale, who has that kind of money to invest in a long-shot? TORO does, and even they have stopped making it... If not for the guys on here pulling them out of good transmissions we would have none (or they would be selling on eBay for $200 each because of the low supply and high demand), and the chances of that bearing being totally shot on a beat-to-death tractor are probably greater than 60%.

Like i said, sad to see some go, but I am personally very glad that I have a source to buy good parts from. (Now their resale pricing, is another story... I think from some parts dealers its far too high. But supply and demand and all that yadda yadda :eusa-whistle: )

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 1