WHwest8597

Returning limestone to the driveway

WHwest8597

Any tips on returning limestone to the driveway from the yard once all the snow melts.  I usually just rake it back on to the driveway, then level everything using dozer blade.  I have heard that a power broom works well.

Ed Kennell

Check Pauls  THAWING OUT post

cleat

I have a rubber paddle power broom and it works excellent. I move literally hundreds of pounds of gravel from my yard that the snow plow (and I) throws there. It is still a lot of work but the end result is a yard with no stone on it and no turf damage from the process.

My machine is an Echo.

Cleat

• Like 1

squonk

I wonder if I can use my rubber paddle snowblower!  :scared-eek:  :scared-eek:  :scared-eek:  :scared-eek:  :scared-eek:

• Like 1

Tankman

I have heard a power broom works.

Without one, the spring tooth rake will have to do.

I did pickup a very heavy duty lawn dethatcher which I intend to try when the mud recedes. The dethatcher did a nice job raking my driveways level, very nice, when it was dry last fall.

The weight of the Horse would certainly compact the wet clay loaded soil I have. Staying off the lawns but, the decks are being maintained while resting on heavy duty saw horses.   :laughing-rofl:

I would rather mow than push white, wet, cold, nasty stuff. Grandsons are nutso! They want to plow, plow, plow. What's with that?  :eusa-think:

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

I wonder if I can use my rubber paddle snowblower!  :scared-eek:  :scared-eek:  :scared-eek:  :scared-eek:  :scared-eek:

I'd give it a try. Better yet, if work has one use that. :) The principle should be the same. I just wonder about the rpm on the paddle.

I better get a broom for one of the Gravely tractors. :ychain:

Edited by shallowwatersailor

bmsgaffer

I would put a twist in the drivebelt to try this...  :eusa-think:  I wouldn't want the chute to look like a beat tin can! :eusa-whistle:

steve k

I do not mean to offend but I have reached the conclusion its easier to not scrape the stone there in the first place!    I know.....not much help but food for thought.   Even if the drive is not scraped bare thats ok with me=  less clean up in spring.   

cleat

Unfortunately, the highway plow truck drivers do not work that way and plow at fairly high rates of speed that will move gravel from the shoulder of the road a fair distance into my yard.

steve k

yeah, I did not think of that Cleat...... :hide:

tractorhogg

My driveway is over 100 yds, I use a spring tooth leaf rake and it gives me a lot of exercise in every part of my body, I've been doing 1 hour a day for the last 5 days, I'm almost done. The body needs exercise, especially when we get older, I'm 58 but I still ride my bike 20 miles on Tuesday and 20 miles on Thursday to get to school and back. 10 miles one way, its goes pretty quick, not bad at all, but yard work is really beneficial.

Tankman

I'm goin' on 68 and don''t ride my bike too often.

The heavy duty, very heavy duty, spring tooth dethatcher fits nicely on the draw bar, the Horses love work too! The spring tooth does indeed move the stone back onto the drives after which I use a four foot roller, water filled steel, to pack the stone 'n millings down. 

Bike riding FYI is much easier downhill but still hard to keep up with my grandsons!   :laughing-rofl:  :laughing-rofl:  :laughing-rofl:

• Like 1

Tankman

Unfortunately, the highway plow truck drivers do not work that way and plow at fairly high rates of speed that will move gravel from the shoulder of the road a fair distance into my yard.

Standing by the road one snow day, a plow pushed a stone (maybe 100 lbs) five or six feet onto my lawn.

The stone looked like a surfboard riding a wave. Comin' at me, I was watching, I ran for the hills!   :laughing-rofl: