scotty

Doesnt come out of gear easily

scotty

I got a b-80 a did a motor transplant on. When the wheel horse is on a hill or a bump or something it doesnt "slide" out of gear easily. Will it hurt the transmission if i do that or should i figure out whats wrong? The belt is completely stopped and everything.

rmaynard

So if I understand your question, you depress the clutch, come to a complete stop, try to change gears, and it is hard to move out of one gear and into another. With the engine running do the gears grind when you try to move the lever? Does it do this with the engine stopped?

All gear shifting on that transmission must be done while NOT moving.

Edited by rmaynard

bmsgaffer

This may sound silly, but have you checked the level of the transmission oil? Make sure it is up to the full mark of the proper gear oil.

scotty

The transmission says it full but ive been riding it around so ill have to let it settle. It has alot of resistance when i try to take it out a gear when im stopped. No gear grind when i put it into another gear. Ill have to see if it comes out gear easier with the engine off.

boovuc

Hi Scotty,

I know what you mean.

If your plowing and you....say, climb up on a bank with pressure still on the plow, if you don't hold your brake pedal in BEFORE changing gears from a forward gear to reverse, it is hard to get out of gear.

Even if your stopped, without holding the brake down when you are on a hill or if you have a pressure or resistance against the tractor, it will stiffen the resistance getting it out of gear. If you don't have your brake on, when you do move it out of gear, the tractor will lurch a little when you go between gears.

Rule of thumb, if your on a hill or slope or you have a resistance against the tractor, you should use the brake before changing gears even if your stopped.

scotty

Exactly what im talking about. Mine does it with the brake though. Is it possible it needs a brake adjustment?

scotty

It comes out of gear easily when the motor is off

rmaynard

Sounds like your drive belt is not coming to a complete stop.

bmsgaffer

Sounds like your drive belt is not coming to a complete stop.

The belt may be appearing to come to a complete stop (with the brake or weight of the tractor stopping it), but still dragging on the engine pulley enough to cause a constant pull on the transmission (thus you will be burning up belts if you sit stopped in-gear with clutch in for a long time).

Does that make sense as a possibility? You would need to adjust your clutch linkages or the belt guides... :eusa-think:

You should be able to test this by running the engine and when you pull it out of gear the drive belt will start spinning (even just a little bit).

You do have the belt guard on, right? The 8-speeds use them as an integral part of the belt guide system and it wont work right without the cover on.

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 1

scotty

Sounds possible. I will have to try that.

boovuc

Scotty,

It doesn't hurt to make sure you have brakes!  :)

Put your tractor on a little grade or hill and push the brake pedal in. If it doesn't stop it in an instant, adjust them.

I know when my brake is not adjusted correctly and I'm plowing, I'll get the symptoms you described if I'm lodged against the snow I just pushed and I'm going from a forward gear to reverse. 

• Like 2

Don1977

You said you did a motor transplant. What engine did up put on it? Did you put the crank shaft back in the same location and used the existing belt? Wheel horse belt or an after market belt? All of these can affect how well the transmission shifts.

boovuc

Oh! Damn good point, Don! I used a belt on one of my 310's that was half an inch off. (NAPA Brand). And it makes for a tight shift far too often because there isn't enough slack on the belt with the clutch pedal fully pushed in.

Ii changed it out though I keep that belt in an emergency. (OK.....I'm cheap and couldn't take it back thinking it would work).