Austin860

Thawing out

Austin860

Took off the winter clothes. The cab is hung in the garage, the chains are off, and the logging boom is being built. Had to get a picture with the cleaned up hubcaps

post-9836-0-36407500-1426081755_thumb.jp

• Like 7

Pollack Pete

Nice Electro 12.I have one here but haven't had time to fool with it.How do you like yours? Thawing out a little bit here in upstate NY too.Still lots of ice and snow yet though.

Tankman

Nice Horse! If weather continues to warm, perhaps we'll see some green? It's all Mr. Gore's fault, think?

My Horses still wearing dozers, chains 'n weights. Part laziness and part fear.

I did go out for an hour or two and rake a little stone from the lawn edges back to the driveways. Going to be springtime "grandsons project", high on the list.

Heyyyyyyyy, they pushed the stone 'n millings onto the lawns!   :laughing-rofl:

post-8021-0-02766700-1426086036.jpg

Edited by Tankman

Theroundhousernr

I hope this weather continues but I have been hearing possible late march storms and the warming is only going to last for about a week. I hope there wrong!

pfrederi

Raking the stones back into the driveway and back on to the road was my least favorite chore. (and after this winter that wouldn't quit there will be a whole lot of them)..  Blisters sore shoulders etc etc.

This makes it much easier.

post-1023-0-67875100-1426098427_thumb.jp

Since the picture I have added casters to at the brush ends and weights on the rear wheels and draw bar .  The project probably doesn't take an hour of sweeping time ( I have several hundred feet to do.) but it is spread out over a couple of days waiting for good wind conditions.  The broom is fixed angle.  We have all had snow blower discharge get us but believe me dirt rocks and grass are not something you want in your face when the wind blows the wrong way.  This is a permanent set up the C175s only job now. Hooking this beast up is too much work to keep taking it on and off..

• Like 8

Theroundhousernr

Neat. Another series 1 still getting it done! Is the brush useful in powdery snow?

Pollack Pete

Raking the stones back into the driveway and back on to the road was my least favorite chore. (and after this winter that wouldn't quit there will be a whole lot of them)..  Blisters sore shoulders etc etc.

This makes it much easier.

attachicon.gifIMG_3026.JPG

Since the picture I have added casters to at the brush ends and weights on the rear wheels and draw bar .  The project probably doesn't take an hour of sweeping time ( I have several hundred feet to do.) but it is spread out over a couple of days waiting for good wind conditions.  The broom is fixed angle.  We have all had snow blower discharge get us but believe me dirt rocks and grass are not something you want in your face when the wind blows the wrong way.  This is a permanent set up the C175s only job now. Hooking this beast up is too much work to keep taking it on and off..

Is that an electric motor that runs the brush?If so,how does the tractor charging system and battery hold up?

Theroundhousernr

If you blow up the picture , you can see the belt coming off the PTO.

Ed Kennell

Are you like Paladin, Paul.    Have brush will travel.    Raking the stones out of the lawn is my least favorite job.

• Like 1

squonk

I use a push broom on stones. Nice set up. :thumbs:

shallowwatersailor

"Day is done, gone the sun..."

Speaking of Paladin, hopefully last week was "his" last trip to the barn after removing snow.

post-3066-0-11526200-1426109881_thumb.jp

pfrederi

The electric cable is for the lift device on the unit.  It is slow to respond hence the new front casters.

The engine is from a JD317 series 1 Kohler with over 2000 hours. I do not have to worry about mosquito attacks when she first starts up :)

I have too much wind up here I have never tried her on snow.  The Electro 12 and plow is first choice.

I had to put on an electric PTO as the John Deere folks did  not spec ball bearing crankshaft bearings,

Austin860

Thanks everyone and Pete the hydro tranny and the 12 horse kohler with the hydraulic lift makes a great plow tractor. I've been pushing banks 6-8 feet high all winter.

In hopes of snow melt, here's the 42 inch deck in pretty nice original condition, no guards haha. And the other pic is just in the woods

post-9836-0-44612000-1426128722_thumb.jp

post-9836-0-19793700-1426128880_thumb.jp

JackC

"I had to put on an electric PTO as the John Deere folks did  not spec ball bearing crankshaft bearings,"

Wouldn't the side wise loads on the crankshaft bearing by the drive and attachment belts be the same with an electric PTO versus a manual PTO?

Tankman

Love the broom setup! Guess it works for stone but, how well?

I walk the drives, little by little, returning stone and millings where they belong. A bit difficult early spring, too wet. I return some where it belongs but will have to finish up as the earth drives.

Does the broom tear up the lawns?

Picked up a big, heavy duty dethatcher, thought I would give that a try, when we're dry enough.   :laughing-rofl:  :laughing-rofl:  :laughing-rofl:

pfrederi

"I had to put on an electric PTO as the John Deere folks did  not spec ball bearing crankshaft bearings,"

Wouldn't the side wise loads on the crankshaft bearing by the drive and attachment belts be the same with an electric PTO versus a manual PTO?

The sleeve bearings can handle the side loading as any kind of PTO with a belt will generate significant side loading.  The issue is end loading.  The WH manual PTO pushes in on the end of the crankshaft.  The sleeve bearing units only have a very small lip on the end of the sleeve to deal with end loading.  Ball bearings can handle it better.  In the Series 2 Kohler KTs they stopped using ball bearings so WH had to spec a thrust bearing to accommodate the end loading.  if you look at the parts manuals you will see only a few Spec #s use the thrust bearing. 

• Like 1

pfrederi

Love the broom setup! Guess it works for stone but, how well?

I walk the drives, little by little, returning stone and millings where they belong. A bit difficult early spring, too wet. I return some where it belongs but will have to finish up as the earth drives.

Does the broom tear up the lawns?

Picked up a big, heavy duty dethatcher, thought I would give that a try, when we're dry enough.   :laughing-rofl:  :laughing-rofl:  :laughing-rofl:

My township uses 2A stone for anti-skid.  (That is 3/4 crushed stone0.  The sweepster slings it 30 or 40 feet. I have thrown 2-3 lb rocks with it.  It will dig into the grass that is why the casters are sort of necessary.  Beats the heck out of raking.

JackC

The sleeve bearings can handle the side loading as any kind of PTO with a belt will generate significant side loading.  The issue is end loading.  The WH manual PTO pushes in on the end of the crankshaft.  The sleeve bearing units only have a very small lip on the end of the sleeve to deal with end loading.  Ball bearings can handle it better.  In the Series 2 Kohler KTs they stopped using ball bearings so WH had to spec a thrust bearing to accommodate the end loading.  if you look at the parts manuals you will see only a few Spec #s use the thrust bearing. 

Thanks for the info.