Searcher60

Early 520H

Searcher60

Hey guys, thanks a bunch for all the advice in my search for a new to me horse. The guy with the 3 series is pretty firm. However, I have come across an early 520H with a bad motor. It does have the straight front axel.

Is this super rare, and a got to have it with the straight axel? Thanks again!

stevebo

That is either a 1988 or 1989 520H. I have an 89 and love it. Most would like to have the swept front end but either are fine.

Ed Kennell

I have an 1988 520H rigged with a cab and a blower. It is a beast in the snow. It is a great tractor, but it does like to drink...gasoline.

I would think twice about buying one with a bad motor, unless you know exactly what is wrong with it.

Onan parts are expensive, and used engines are very scarce and pricey.

Searcher60

The usual low compression in the rear cylinder. I have access to a motor, for a price. I may just take your advice since it is not rare and especially desirable.

ericj

how cheap is it, you would need to do a compression check on it and try and determine if it is a valve seat, semi easy fix for less then $ 200.00 if you can do the work yourself, if it is a rod then you are talking mucho denario.. if the tractor is cheap enough to take a chance on it and know you might have to spend money on it to get it right. the 520 are awesome tractors with more then enough horse power to just about any job you want. i like them so much i have 5 running ones and a couple of parts tractors

eric j 

boovuc

Hi Searcher............There are many on here that would say the forward swept axle of the later 520's are more desirable than the standard fronts of early ones. Some like the motion control on the column of the newer ones. Others like the lever down low on the early ones. Others will say they wouldn't own an Onan powered Wheelhorse! Period!

The main thing is a 520-H is NOT a good tractor for someone who is just getting into WheelHorses. (Unless you have decent experience in small engines and lawn & garden tractors). Of the later tractors, a 300 series with a Kohler Magnum or K Series is better and more reliable than the Onan powered 400 and 500 series WH's. A C-Series Kohler Powered Wheelhorse is also a great tractor. The perfect one will come along! It takes patients.Which I don't possess any more than the next guy!  :)

Keep us posted and good luck!!!!!

• Like 2