callum12

peerless 648 oil change drain plug

callum12

hi all,

so i think i should change the oil in my peerless 648, i found out you fill it by removing the shifter and pouring it in through there but i don't know where you drain the old oil? i don't want to start undoing random bolts incase one olds something on the inside!

any help on its where about would be great,

thanks 

callum

ol550

There should be 1/8 pipe plug on the bottom of the case.  May be hiding if the plug has dirt or grit in it,

pacer

Yeah, its likely under there just hiding under crud - its pretty small. A word of caution, these things are notoriously known to be awfully tight. Take pains to really clean out the hex opening so the allen wrench can be firmly seated all the way in and make sure you dont have it cocked, might even put a short cheater pipe on to be able to get a good steady pull on it. Tip the front of the tractor up a bit to allow as much as possible to drain and dont get in a hurry, go have a cup of coffee while it drips, if its cold it'll be worse than molasses!

gwest_ca

Item # 85 is a 1/8" pipe plug so the threads are a little more than 3/8" OD.

Garry

callum12

thank you very much every one, i'll be sure to take my time and wait for a nice warm day.

should i flush it through with anything? i might take the opportunity to remove the tranny and open it up to shim the input bevel gear this will strengthen it and reduce wear. how easy are they to open? will every thing spring out or can a half be removed without disturbing everything else?  there is a post on a different forum explaining it in greater detail. it will also be a good time to properly clean in out. 

thanks again,

callum

gwest_ca

Here is a service manual

600-Series starts on page 14.

Also look at the first pages where the oil capacities and types are listed.

Garry

Pollack Pete

I've had so many problems getting these plugs out that I replace them with a standard square head 1/8 inch pipe plug.I also put Teflon tape on the threads before it goes back in.At least next time it has to come out you have a fighting chance.

• Like 1