JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

1957 RJ. ,,,,,, dumb luck find

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Ok, who can give me information on and a few pictures of a 1957 rj.

Here is what happened today and it falls under the catagory of dumb luck.

my wife joined a neighborhood community on the computer a few weeks back. She has been pestering me to join. I took a look on the site and said what the heck. So today I joined up. At first I thought it was just a group of old hens yapping it up. No sir, it wasnt, plenty of fellas to. I said to myself, what the heck. So I put up a wheel horse wanted ad, anything wheel horse related. Less that an hour later I get a response from an older gent. He has 2 wheel horse, might consider getting rid of them both. They are in a back shed thats buried in snow. We need a melt off to get to them. One is the 1957 rj with plow and the other is a 1998 12 hp model kf which he forgets. The 57 was bought brand new by his father. He has a few attachments for each, but cant remember what all is there for each.

who wants to school me on each and maybe a few pictures to. To say I am excited is a understatement. They can be junk or jewels. And even if junk a diamond in the rough. Thanks fellas. Dumb luck happens sometimes dont it.

Glenn

• Like 5

Racinbob

That's cool Glenn. I hope it turns out to be a complete gem for you. There's many here much better versed on the RJ's than me and I'm sure they will chime in shortly. Can't wait to see some pictures. :)

• Like 2

bitten

Dumb luck or good luck it can all be the same.

Edited by bitten
  • Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

That's cool Glenn. I hope it turns out to be a complete gem for you. There's many here much better versed on the RJ's than me and I'm sure they will chime in shortly. Can't wait to see some pictures. :)

right now, never saw it. The wd 40 patina scrub sounds best. Your right, the rj experts will chime in soon.

Glenn

squonk

Sharpen up you shovel and get over there!

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

buckrancher

a 57 RJ should be a RJ35 with all belt drive could have a clinton 1200 or a kohler K90 engine there are some differences between the early RJ35's

a 57 would have the larger three spoke steering wheel with plastic handle a larger belt guard and four bolts on the rear of the hood to hold it two on top and one on each side and it has wheel horse molded in the front of the hood sheet metal

Brian

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Sharpen up you shovel and get over there!

I should hire a couple guys to clean a path to the door.

Glenn

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

a 57 RJ should be a RJ35 with all belt drive could have a clinton 1200 or a kohler K90 engine there are some differences between the early RJ35's

a 57 would have the larger three spoke steering wheel with plastic handle a larger belt guard and four bolts on the rear of the hood to hold it two on top and one on each side and it has wheel horse molded in the front of the hood sheet metal

Brian

thanks Brian, he said in one of his emails to me, "he thought" the engine was a 8hp. But wasnt sure.

If I wake up and am dreaming this I sure will be pis sed off. Lol

Glenn

buckrancher

57 is the far one a 56 is in front

post-591-0-79011100-1425858544_thumb.jpg

Brian

stock motors would be 3.6hp on 35's

Edited by buckrancher
  • Like 3

Ken B

Hope it works out for you Glenn. Your wife is gonna wish she didn't pester you to join! At least you can tell her its all her fault!  :laughing-rolling:

• Like 6

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Hope it works out for you Glenn. Your wife is gonna wish she didn't pester you to join! At least you can tell her its all her fault! :laughing-rolling:

Ken, I wrote that down, good one.

Glenn

Btw, guess no one cares about the 1998 12 hp whatever it is. The poor lonely thing.

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn

953 nut

:woohoo:     You could fall in ____ and come out smelling like a rose. Look in the Gallery here and you will see more photos of RJ-35s. The 12 HP is probably a 312-8 or a 312-A, both very good workers, photos of them would also be in the Gallery.

If you don't like them you could always bring them to the big show and sell them to me!  :ROTF: 

• Like 1

AMC RULES

I should hire a couple guys to clean a path to the door.

Glenn

Just send me the address Glenn...

I'll get right over there.   :teasing-poke:

• Like 3

squonk

Bring the grader!!!!

• Like 1

stevebo

I agree that I would not wait to get over there and dig a path. I have been there before myself. Last year I loaded up my 520 with plow on the trailer and drove to an older guy's house to plow a path around the side and back of the house to pull out his late father's 1054 with mower deck mounted. Pulled it out with the 520 and loaded it up on trailer. Then headed back and loaded up the 520 and called it done. If you wait then he will start to do some research and you know how that goes..... Here is my 57' I got from the show last year and a few others who are still in the Red Square family...

post-734-0-89441700-1425862212_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-96728600-1425862251_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-95824300-1425862326_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

neil

Glenn , Steve is right , the geezer is now searching the Internet to find out What he can about his tractors , it won't be long before he knows what he has got . Even worse he could email a guy to come over to take a look to give him a valuation. " Hey presto " the guy says he sold it to some dude that he emailed on the Internet .

Strike while the iron is hot ,

Early bird catches the worm

Don't wait till the ice thaws , get back over there , check out what tractors he really has , leave the guy a cash deposit & make them yours.

Good luck buddy , let's hope it is an RJ not a lawn ranger , some people do get confused on what they have.

• Like 3

Navig8r

Yeah, I think I'd be telling him I need to get them home now, so I can do some work on them now before spring, then I'd get to diggin!

• Like 1

JC 1965

Hope it is in mint condition Glenn.   :thumbs2:  You lucky dog.     :ychain:

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

Good Luck Glenn! Hope you get them.

• Like 1

wh500special

I agree.  If you think you have any interest you need to head right over there.  Cash in hand.  Even if you don't take enough to buy them outright, a deposit shows you mean business.

Unless my Wheel Horse experience is unique, I've found that people very rarely have any idea what model or year a tractor really is.  Even when they bought it new.  That 1957 model could be anything; '57 RJ, Lawn Ranger, 1057, C195, anything.  Same goes for the 1998 model, although he might have a better memory since it is newer.  Since the Hxl and 260 series were huge sellers, prepare yourself for it being one of those.

I bought a 1968 500 Special from a guy whose parents bought the tractor new.  He was absolutely positive it was a 1958.

One Wheel Horse a guy turned me on to turned out to be a Speedex.  I bought it (and later sold it) anyway.  Even when I drove away we was still swearing it was a Wheel Horse.

My point is that you need to get down to his shed TODAY.  I hope it turns out to be an RJ35 in excellent condition!

Best of luck!

Steve

• Like 1

Ken B

Hey Glenn, ya know the real trick is to try not to come off as being overly desperate or impatient... I wouldn't give any more info on that neighborhood community you just joined. I bet there are plenty of guys just dying to know where they hide... :laughing-rolling:

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Just a update for all of you with the shakes. I have the jitters myself. We have a great 56 degree day here today. Snow is melting. The owner did not want to head out to the rear shed yet. He just wasnt willing. Thats ok, I can wait a few days or so. He seems hesitent a bit, guess cause his dad bought it new so he has memories and ties to it. So lets see what transpires. Will keep you guys posted.

btw, thought I saw a truck with craig driving and a guy that looked like ken in the back of it, standing up holding the roll bar, with big binoculars scanning around. Is that you? LOL

Glenn

ok, let me go pop a couple blood pressure pills.

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn
  • Like 3

fireman

Hey Glenn, ya know the real trick is to try not to come off as being overly desperate or impatient... I wouldn't give any more info on that neighborhood community you just joined. I bet there are plenty of guys just dying to know where they hide... :laughing-rolling:

I'll second what Ken said. I've seen it first hand someone tipped their hand about a barn find Wheel Horse and gave out a little too much info. When he showed up to get it, it had been sold out from under him to someone who had seen the post he made and figured out where it was.  Unfortunately some people have no scruples.

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Glenn , Steve is right , the geezer is now searching the Internet to find out What he can about his tractors , it won't be long before he knows what he has got . Even worse he could email a guy to come over to take a look to give him a valuation. " Hey presto " the guy says he sold it to some dude that he emailed on the Internet .

Strike while the iron is hot ,

Early bird catches the worm

Don't wait till the ice thaws , get back over there , check out what tractors he really has , leave the guy a cash deposit & make them yours.

Good luck buddy , let's hope it is an RJ not a lawn ranger , some people do get confused on what they have.

Neil, I couldnt stop laughing when I read the "geezer" he!!,,,,,I am geezer material myself. Smashing good ol chap.

Glenn

• Like 1

neil

I really hope this deal works out for you ol geezer chap

Let's hope it's a Rj25

• Like 2