allensmall

Snowblower bearing replacement

allensmall

Was out snow blowing this morning and when I got to the end of the driveway I noticed sparks coming out by the drive sprocket on the snowblower.  I stopped and looked it and it the bearing is completely shot.  I did manage to find few parts in the driveway.  I'm trying to figure out where I can quickly get some parts and what I need to do to get everything off.  Snowblower is model 6-6211.  I found the parts list and shows the bearing as part no. 4571.  Anybody know if Napa or some place like that might sell what I need?  I'm also not sure exactly what I need to do to get the rest of the bearing off the shaft. I tried a hammer and a punch to get the roll pin out with no luck. Anybody got any ideas? The bearing on the other end is model 5269 I figure I should probably replace that guy too. Hopefully I can get the set screws loose on that.   

While I have it apart I'd also like to replace the drive sprocket.  Anybody know what the specs are on that so I could maybe get one at TSC?

post-13891-0-36046400-1425479972_thumb.jpost-13891-0-77922600-1425480055_thumb.j

WH nut

You need to get the collar off, either get driven out or cut the collar. Loosen the sprocket and pulleys and drive thee shaft back for clearance.

mmmmmdonuts

Check out the link here for the bearings and what you can do quickly:

You should be able to get most of the stuff other than the bronze bushing at tractor supply but you can use Type L 3/4 copper pipe.

Edited by mmmmmdonuts

Forest Road

Replace the chain and all sprockets. Make that a semi annual maintenance item. Just like sharpening blades on a mower.

can whlvr

ive had  to cut off the sprocket and bearing,ive also had to replace the shaft and every thing else,check your bearings on the auger while your lookin at every thing else,usually I replace the idlers,all 4 bearings,drive sprocket,new chain and then you know shes ready for real work outs

allensmall

I was able to find a bearing so I can use a similar mod to the one in the link posted by mmmmmdonuts. Now I just need to get the old one off.  It's been fighting me pretty bad.  Got a drill bit the other night so I can try to drill it out.  Now I'm wondering if I should just replace the whole shaft and not even worry about it.  Looks like we're getting a break in the snow for at least the next week so I've got some time to figure out what I want to do.

I just had a thought I was typing this up and I'm not sure this would even be possible but I'm wondering if I'm going to replace that shaft if I could just upsize the shaft to a 1" shaft and then I wouldn't need to use the bronze bushing for the bearing either.  I guess I'd have to see if I could get the pulley for the belt and a drive sprocket that takes a 1" shaft.  I'm thinking I could just go get a piece of 1" round bar and swap everything out all at once. I'm probably missing something painfully obvious here though that will stop me from doing this that I can't think of at the moment.   Am I just crazy or would this be possible?  

Never even thought about the auger bearings can whlvr thanks for the tip.  I'll have to take a look at that once I get everything apart.  I've already replaced the chain and idlers a few weeks ago but I was hoping that everything else would last me through the rest of the winter so I could work on this in some warmer weather this spring.  I guess that's not going to happen.  

Theroundhousernr

The newer tall chute blowers take a 7/8 shaft. You can source those bearings real easy. Someone I know replaced those bearings with a 3/4 ID and used the smaller bearing carrier and just drilled new holes for them two sheet metal pieces. He now wishes he would have replaced the shaft to 7/8. I guess there was not a lot of meat there to drill New holes.