BryanRTenn

P216 Onan coil question

BryanRTenn

I bought a 416-8 last week, the guy fired it up for me, I fired it up again after I brought it home.  I did some work to the body, other stuff, changed oil, etc...  I made some MSD plug wires for it like I do all my horses, and that is the extent that I touched the coil.  Never took the wires off the terminals, never took the flywheel off & messed with the ignition module, nothing.

I went to fire it up tonight & no fire, none.  I have the proper resistance between the two terminals, but absolutely nothing between the two towers, zilch.

It seems odd to me that all the sudden a coil would have no resistance between the windings.

Any help or ideas here would be greatly appreciated

WH nut

It is odd, there is a pinned post over on the electrical side on trouble shooting the Onan ignition

BryanRTenn

thanks, WH nut.  I'll check it out

Should the + terminal on the coil be hot?  If my memory is correct the + terminal will be hot when ignition is on, mine is not.  

bmsgaffer

If it worked once and you never touched the wires, dont change them.

Silly things to check: Safety switches like making sure the PTO is off, tractor is in neutral, parking brake set etc (not sure what all its equipped with, but good to check)

BryanRTenn

doesn't the safety switches usually keep the tractor from cranking at all?  Just dead at the switch?  It will crank the damn battery dry, just no spark

But if theres no resistance between the towers thats all coil, isnt it???

BryanRTenn

turned out to be a couple things.

First, the seat switch has to be hooked up, didnt think that mattered but you close that circuit & BAM, the + post on the coil is hot, break that circuit & its not.

Soooo, I think I have it all figured out, it starts a few times, runs great, then It wont crank at all, I have a short in the ignition switch.  So coil was not the problem at all thank goodness, just an ignition switch.

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Glad to hear you got it sorted!

Yea, SOME circuits will prevent it from attempting to start and some will kill ignition circuit (which will stop the tractor if it is running in addition to not letting it start)