Andrew58

H60 Specification

Andrew58

I have a Tecumseh H60 horizontal shaft, aluminum cylinder with cast iron sleeve.  I'm sure this is an H60 engine because I measured the bore and stroke to be 2-5/8" bore x 2-1/2" stroke.  Here's my problem.  The engine shroud that has the model and spec numbers reads HH60, which is a full cast iron engine.  It is not cast iron.  I got this engine many years ago from somebody, somewhere.   It's been messed with.  I had the engine running over the weekend and it sounds good, no knocks etc.  The bore has rust pits and it does smoke but not bad.  I need to bore it and replace piston/rings with a new .10 over set.  The local shop told me there are hundreds of specification numbers for H60 engines so he is reluctant to order me a new piston and rings.  Is there any way to narrow this down to what piston I need?  Is there maybe a number cast into the block somewhere with the specification number?  I don't see one anywhere.  I can't imagine there could be so many different pistons for this engine.

Thanks

slammer302

I would give you the spec number from mine but it is alum bore so the piston rings might not be the same as urs

Andrew58

Thanks.  I'm sure there is a diffence being I have the sleeve.

i think you will have a hard time finding any .010 piston for a H60 , you may find a NOS one on eBay.  for new pistons all is available is standard bore

Andrew58

Thanks guys for your replies.  I have decided to shef this engine and pull my K161 out of the moth balls.  It ran perfectly when I put it into storage years ago.  This Kohler will run rings around the Tecumseh but I'll have to make some modifications.

Thanks again, guys

Andrew