Sign in to follow this  
Guest fireman

How to tell a RJ59 from a RJ58?

Guest fireman

Does anyone know for sure how to tell the difference between the 58 and 59? I have been told one way is by the seat if has holes or not.

bowtieguy

In Mike's Wheel Horse book...he states this: "The RIde-Away-Junior (RJ-59) remained unchanged, except that some models had a lift system sector with multiple positions"....just my 2 cents worth as I have a RJ-59 with such.

There is a pic of an RJ-58 on page 49....and of course there are also pics of all models here on RS.

BPjunk

The lift sector was a option, the only real way to tell a 58 from a 59 is by the serial number. There was 20,000 RJ's made in 58 and 2,500 made in 59 so if you have a RJ with a serial number of 2,500 or higher you have a 1959.

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

Guest fireman

Unfourtunately my serial tag is gone. I just read through the section on those years in Michael's 2nd. Edition book which states:

"The 1959 Ride-Away Junior (RJ-59) remained unchanged with the exception of some models having a lift system sector with multiple positions, as well as a larger, more comfortable seat and rear fenders as standard equipment".

Now I will have to go home tommorow after work and compare the seat on the new RJ I just picked up against my other RJ.

linen beige

We have documented several difference between the earliest Rj-58s and the latest RJ-59s, but I think the transition from the '58 to the '59 was seamless, with no difference between the last '58 and the first '59. Like Wild Bill said, the serial number would be the only way to know for sure.

DMESS

We have documented several difference between the earliest Rj-58s and the latest RJ-59s, but I think the transition from the '58 to the '59 was seamless, with no difference between the last '58 and the first '59. Like Wild Bill said, the serial number would be the only way to know for sure.

I agree with Jim! :banghead:

bowtieguy

I don't think mine has a serial tag on it....but will look a little closer for it.....am I looking for a "stick on" tag somewhere on the frame???.....would help if we had more RJ's to look at here in the midwest....lets see...2000 + 2500+ 4500 RJ's according to Wild Bill....I have only seen 3 in this neck of the woods....I guess the rest of them are in PA or in Jerry's and Bill's horse barn!!!....naw, forgot that DUKE has got a couple up north....you would think that 50% of them are still out there somewhere. :banghead:

sorekiwi

I don't think mine has a serial tag on it....but will look a little closer for it.....am I looking for a "stick on" tag somewhere on the frame???.....would help if we had more RJ's to look at here in the midwest....lets see...2000 + 2500+ 4500 RJ's according to Wild Bill....I have only seen 3 in this neck of the woods....I guess the rest of them are in PA or in Jerry's and Bill's horse barn!!!....naw, forgot that DUKE has got a couple up north....you would think that 50% of them are still out there somewhere. :banghead:

There's a pic of a tag in this recent thread: http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=5809

There's at least 1 RJ in Coatesville, Indiana!

HorseFixer

I have 3 of them 2 58's and a 1 59 none of mine have the lift system sector on them. None have the fenders either. One of my 58's have the original Model serial number tag in the front left side on the frame rail. The guy I got the 59 from said his dad purchased it in 1959 the same year he was born and said he knows this for sure because his dad had a picture taken holding his son when he brought the tractor home. "sure wish I had that picture"! anyways the 59 has a clinton and the 58 has a kohler and the other 58 I have is missing the original engine but I have a K-90 to go on it. Sorry I can't be much more help but I would say the serial # would be the only way from what I have read.

Cheers Duke

evanloock

A gentleman I bought my RJ-58 (serial 3796) from had a late model RJ-59 with the serial tag still in place. The serial number was in the high 21,000 range. It shared some similarities with the Suburban 400 in that it had the wide solid seat (no holes) and the K-91 31388A engine (Fairbanks-Morse recoil and paper air filter).

linen beige

lets see...2000 + 2500+ 4500 RJ's according to Wild Bill....

Ya missed a zero! There were some twenty thousand '58s made. And only 2500 '59s. That's why you see so many '58s and the '59s are not so common.

bowtieguy

Yepper, I missed that.....thanks Jim.....so, with 2500 RJ-59s made maybe 10% of them are still around somewhere.....would be interesting if we could tally up the location of about 250 of em"....heck Jerry probably has a couple hundred hidden at his barn....hope they are not all painted YELLAR...and guess you could miss a few lug nuts if some of them only took 6 per axle..... :banghead:

HorseFixer

Here is a picture of my model and serial # tag on the front left frame rail. The serial # does not show up in this picture but it is there its stamped in the aluminum tag.

Cheers Duke

RJ-58-6.jpg