fireman

New to me super clean 1992 John Deere 318

stevebo

It is still a green and yellow machine tho:ychain:

AMC RULES
You know you got a soft spot for 'em too.    :happy-jumpeveryone:

fireman

So since the last update, I added some other things. Picked a NOS rear hydraulic port kit and got that installed. I also picked up a nice snow cab. Going to replace the vinyl on the doors with 3/16" lexan along with the back window. I finally got the control console torn apart, repainted all the sheet metal, replaced all the hardware, throttle cable, choke cable and decals with NOS parts. As of tonight this is all re-assembled and ready to drive it around the house and into the work shop so I can put it on the lift and give it a service before the snow flies. Over on the JD website I posted in the wanted section looking for a 2-stage blower for it. I fellow member let me know of 2 in South Dakota and I ended up getting one of them. The seller is gonna put it on a pallet and drop it off at his local Fastenal for me this week. Now i'll really be able to launch some snow! Here are the latest pics:

DSCN0847.thumb.JPG.685c864b360cc082a63bf

DSCN0849.thumb.JPG.9e51f67e674616c881936

DSCN0904.thumb.JPG.e0851539452f8953eee37

DSCN0906.thumb.JPG.c7f7f1398d95a59e8c03a

This pic shows the console re-assembled and ready to be started up.

DSCN0928.thumb.JPG.d5636b4a5f8c67d04df92

2-stage_blower1.thumb.jpg.1f2aebf5be5ddc

2-stage_blower2.thumb.jpg.3c36212b12a9a5

fireman
So after not running the tractor in like 4 months and putting on the new throttle and choke cables I rolled it outside and it fired right up with no adjustment of the cables needed.Let it run for a little while and drove it around a little then over into the workshop. I installed the spacers that came with the rear hydro outlet kit that lifts the rear of the seat pan allowing access to the connectors. I set the seat pan in place and tried the bolts to make sure everything lined up. Then I added the new decals, anti skid foot mats and installed the light bezels with new L.E.D. lights. Slipped the hood on and rolled it outside to take some pictures. The green looks a little lighter then I would have liked but oh well. I have to keep reminding myself this is a worker and not a show tractor! I'm going to replace the fuel lines and pick ups before I permanently install the seat pan. Still need a new headlight lens and 3 new L.E.D. bulbs for the headlights. Also need to replace my seat and tires. The seat is cracked really bad plus I want armrests. Now just to finish this up and move on to the cab.

DSCN0963.thumb.JPG.8e2c9dfbf13c91e7aa48a

DSCN0961.thumb.JPG.7efad4c9c6b1e14c7e550

DSCN0960.thumb.JPG.7851e4c822be4ee834961

DSCN0958.thumb.JPG.ca583f4b189921d4259fc

DSCN0972.thumb.JPG.a746b17a20d040cb43a24

DSCN0973.thumb.JPG.c7ca19d749535f27f6d06

DSCN0975.thumb.JPG.156eb0e2dd6e5c283bf13
  • Like 3

Sparky

It definitely looks nice Jeff!
You said you installed the new decals? No pic with those installed?
Mike.........

stevebo

Someone did a nice job painting that bad boy...

• Like 1

Ken B

Looks real nice Jeff!

fireman

Mike,
I only put the decals on the seat pan and control tower as I had already clear coated them. I still need to clear coat the hood so once that is done and dry I'll put the long decals down each side of the hood. I actually cleared coated the underside of the seat pan this morning. This way it's protected from mud, dirt snow etc.

Someone did a nice job painting that bad boy...

Gee! I wonder who that could have been :eusa-think:.

• Like 2

47JDG

Nice work! The 318 is an outstanding machine. Very comfortable with excellent ergonomics.

WNYPCRepair

Nice looking tractor, I like it. Great work, too.

c-series don

I have to admit I am a little jealous of that power steering........shhh wish I had that on my c-141 with FEL 

fireman

There is nothing like power steering.  Once you use it, you'll never want to be without it. I have driven SteveBo's 520LXI with the power steering and it is very comparable to the JD318. I really like having the extra ports for the live hydraulics. You can power I wide variety of attachments like 3 point log splitter, hydraulic dump cart or anything that want to make yourself. I will say I'm not a fan of Onan engines in general although this one seems to run great once I took the carburetor apart and soaked it in carb cleaner. This tractor seems like it was gently used given it's condition (still can't figure out why the previous owner repainted it with a brush). But that's fixed now. 

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

You always do an outstanding job on your stuff. Enjoy reading about it.

glenn

fireman

I picked up the snowblower from the Fastenal store I had it shipped to. All I can say is that if you ever need to ship something large, don't hesitate to use Fastenal. They are very inexpensive and it's painless to set up a shipment. It cost me $175 to ship this from South Dakota to Connecticut. The seller dropped it off last Tuesday and it arrived here Yesterday. They even used their forklift to load it in my truck. 

This beasts shipping weight was 525lbs. Lets take 25lbs off for the pallet and this blower comes in at 500lbs! That's just :wicked:! I should have enough ballast. I've got the two rear wheel weights that weigh 90lbs each. Next I have 8 suitcase weights that are 35lbs each that will go out on the 3 point hitch. Then I have the cab which I guess weights around 80lbs or so and then my weight. I also plan on mounting my small 2000 watt generator on the 3 point hitch so I can run a heater in the cab. With all of that I should be good on the counter weight.

The snow blower has it's own hydraulic piston for raising and lowering. It also uses a hydraulic piston and pulley/cable system for the chute rotation. I plan on putting a 12volt actuator on for the tilting of the chute tip. Lets hope this chucks snow as far as some of the same ones I've seen videos of on youtube!

DSCN0976.thumb.JPG.d7e885b898403e34685a5

DSCN0977.thumb.JPG.1c172b45f04bdd9879846

DSCN0978.thumb.JPG.8f8123d80420c60f8b027

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Nice work! I'm anxious to see how you recover the doors with the Lexan. 

stevebo

That is a big boy. My question is how do you plan on getting it off the truck?

• Like 1

fireman

That is a big boy. My question is how do you plan on getting it off the truck?

I was thinking about that too. Then I remembered my mother-in-law still has her late husbands engine crane at the house. I'll go get that tomorrow and use that to get it off the back of the truck.

bmsgaffer

That snowblower weights more than a round hood... sweet!

I will be anxiously awaiting some pics of the setup and videos in action!

muz123

Nice! That blower is just BIG. 
Dave...

fireman
I finally got all the tins clear coated and put them on for a test fit. All thats left to do is replace the fuel pickups, lines and tank bushings then the seat/fender pan can get installed for good. I really like having arm rests on my seats and haven't found one I like yet so the cracked original will do for now. Still need some tires which I will order this week. It's all coming together but Winter is coming quickly.

DSCN0983.thumb.JPG.dcbe21fe0511034f90b57

DSCN0988.thumb.JPG.d91fa8f853334883f5020

DSCN0990.thumb.JPG.464810afa0cc190fd2cef
  • Like 3

WNYPCRepair

nice work, looks great

RedRanger

What tires are you going with???

fireman

23X10.50-12 in the rear and 16X6.50-8 up front. Both are 4 ply plus I plan on running tubes all the way around.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.37ccd66cfc7969ea708ec3

fireman

Found a smokin' deal for tires on Ebay. The name on them says "WANDA" but let me tell you I can see no difference between them and Carlisles. They are 4 ply and have the same weight ratings etc. The cost was $175 delivered for all 4! I bought them on Wednesday the 21st and they showed up today Saturday the 24th. If anyone is interested in the sellers Ebay name, PM me and I'll send you the link (Not allowed to post it here). 

DSCN1004.thumb.JPG.d70926ddfdabbeeb2399f

DSCN1005.thumb.JPG.dc919c774db3ca37e1d08

DSCN1006.thumb.JPG.2ce859951802727e14caf

Sparky

Wanda?? Never heard of em but for something that only goes 7mph they are perfect!
The whole machine is looking good Jeff.
Mike............