Morova66

Mid 80s Era 520H w/ Leaking seals on Drive wheels.... Worth Repairing?

Morova66

I have 2 520H tractors, the elder, a mid 80's era one I use for winter plowing seemed to not want to move when plowing today. I normally keep an eye on levels. When there symtoms started, I pulled to the garage and checked the fluid level. It was low, so I added some 10W 30 and started plowing again. Shortly, symptoms were apparent again. Looking at the snow around the back wheels, I could see where the oil was coming out. I also have the issue other have of the hydro lift being slow to raise when 1st started.  (especially compared to dad's Bronco 14).

I normally have the local Toro / Wheel Horse shop do maintenance for me. With the symptoms described (leaks and loss of transmission power), is something like this reasonably repairable? I gave up on the Bronco in the 90s as getting parts for the Sunstrand tranny seemed too difficult. I would hate to get rid of the 520H tractor, but am not sure if it is too far gone.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Edited by Morova66

pfrederi

The eatons used on the 520 are notoriously slow to start working in the winter.  Mine can take 1-2 minutes before she will pick up the snow blower using Mobil 1.  The axle seals are easy to replace there are numerous thread here about how.  520s are good machines.

varosd

like Paul said, check the axles to see if they are leaking.

but you had plenty of hydraulic lift/movement the whole Winter until today?

The oil on the snow is a drip or two or is like Jed Clampett hunting for some game?

check the the hydraulic hoses where they go in to the Tranny charge pump (right side as you sit on the tractor) or the tranny oil filter on the left side

JackC

A lot of folks use Mobil 1 10W-30W synthetic in their Eaton hydros.  My understanding is that the newer synthetic oils will leak around weak seals faster than dyno based oils.  The seals are not that hard to replace but if the seals are weak it may not be a good idea to switch to synthetic oil until they are replaced.

WH nut

I think you need to let me take it off your hands for you :)

Morova66

Sounds like replacing the wheel seals, checking the hoses and changing the oil / filter is the next step.

Thanks for the help.

WH nut

Does that mean no? lol

Ed Kennell

Think you were a little too quick and bold with your offer NUT.      You gotta be a little more subtle if you want to steal these 520s. :ROTF:

squonk

Mobil 1 is the way to go. I use it in everything with out a leak yet. Got it in my C-160 hydro and judging by the maintanince it got before I owned it, I don't think the seals have ever been changed If it starts to leak, the seal is shot or ready to be shot. 978100981avatar_zpsfgqzt9qj.gif