callum12

what sort of ground engagement work could i do??

callum12

Hi all,

we've just got an allotment garden which has never been worked before, as you would expect it is basically a piece of grassy land. to work it over and get it ready for our veggies i was planning on using my 1940's colwood motor hoe that I've been restoring, for those who don't know this is a walk behind tractor with a single steel wheel that is powered by a JAP 2a 1.2HP 4 stroke and a 3 speed albion gearbox. this is capable of using a small plough, duck foot tines, drills various other small ground engagement implements. 

because it is quite a large allotment i was thinking of making an attachment to fit these colwood implements to my A-800 ranger, I know this is a lawn tractor and not a garden tractor and i know it is not built for ground engagement. BUT mine does have a 10HP tech rather than an 8HP and it does have proper 5 lug hubs not keyed shafts. my question is do you think it would be worth giving it a go? if a 1.2hp mono tractor can do it I'm sure 10HP can do it. I'm aware the peerless tranny does have a weak input pinion but using the small implement won't be must more load than the snow plough or a trailer (both were optional parts for the A-800 from WH). also what sort of modifications would you recommend, from weights? agri tyres? i was planning on using the deck lifting leaver to raise and lower the implement.

you're all thinking "just get a C-series tractor" i know it. the problem is that here in the UK the cheapest I've found is £300 for a non runner, and for a runner about £500. i don't have that to spend and i didn't by a WH to work, just for fun really!!

so yeah, what do you guys think about a bit of light ground engagement work for the ol' A-800? even if its not used for that it will be used for trailering manure from down the road and similar activities.

thanks,

Callum 

shallowwatersailor

Hi Callum,

The Colwood Motor Hoe with the J. A. Prestwich engine is pretty substantial compared to our single-wheel walk behind tractors. It looks as if you should be able to use it for the majority of the work.

I believe that your A-800 has a Uni-Drive 5085, not a Peerless, which should be capable of what you intend. I also enjoy the use of the British term "pedestrian operated tractor" for our walk-behind tractor.

callum12

hi,

the Colwood is very well made, nice thick angle iron chassis etc, the reason why i wanted to try doing the job with my WH is because I'm picking up some more implements for the colwood tomorrow so it would be nice to put the colwood and tractor to work. also to gov your back a rest!

looking at the manual for the WH is says that is has the peerless 648, it is cast aluminium not iron like the unidrive, perhaps your thinking of the wheel horse 800 commando? but to be honest even though it is not a uni-drive i reckon it will be fine with what you throw at it (i hope!!), there is a storey of someone damaging the input pinion but that was because they where racing it with something like a 20HP engine (can't remember the storey exactly). i don't think the tractor will work anymore than when using a trailer loaded with logs or soil. 

i will use the term "pedestrian operated tractor" more often, i usually do but it slipped my mind! thank you. what mono tractor do you have?

thanks again

(P.S: i'll do a build thread if i make a hitch to attach a colwood implement)

boovuc

I wouldn't use your Wheelhorse to do any sod busting. The Peerless transmission just won't take it. 

callum12

i suppose it might be ok with the load but is hitting rocks and other debris that will do it?

i know peerless did make 5 speed ground engagement transaxles, if it would be a direct swap i may look into one of those as you can buy them for as much as i could sell my 648.

out of interest, how much weight do you reckon i'd be good to tow? 

thanks all,

callum

boovuc

HI Callum,

It's very hard to determine how much it could tow but it could tow quite a bit of weight as long as the tires on your trailer are pumped up and your not going up or down steep grades. Plowing verses towing are night and day on stressing a tractor. Simply put, the Peerless transaxle on your tractor is recommended for light-duty mowing, towing and light duty snow removal. I would hate to see you blow that transmission out of your tractor when you have a very capable piece of equipment that is meant to do what you need done. 

callum12

thanks boovuc,

it might be a future project to make a plough capable a-800 with a clevis lift hitch and all that stuff!

i'd be looking at towing around about a wheel barrow load of soil, manure and compost. it would have to go up quite a grade though, it is paved but still quite steep. that will be alright? 

thanks for all your help,

callum

boovuc

Callum,

That isn't much weight really. You will be fine with that. Just be careful on the hills coming down with any load on your trailer.

callum12

definitely! i think it will only be up hill loads luckily, I've got to fiddle with my brake though, its pretty corroded too but that'll wear off with use and a wire brush. 

thanks,

callum

953 nut

:text-goodpost:  Lots of us are unfamiliar with the Colwood  walk behind you are using. If you could post a couple of pictures of it that would be appreciated.   :wwp: 

callum12

Hi,

here are some pictures for you,

the first one is my actual one as it is now:

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-03%20at%2020.20.

and this is one complete (not mine):

post-102-0-20907100-1390425284_zpsgyazqe

as you can see their very well made machines, amazing what 1.2hp can do!

Callum

• Like 1

callum12

just to add, you can see the implement i was going to use with my A-800. but as boovuc says the tranny wouldn't like it too much. 

thanks,

callum