TunaSlayet

414-8 Milky Dipstick & gassy smell?

Fordiesel69

1.) Do not run SAE 30 in the winter.  You will score the cylinder wall when cold.  The cSt of the oil is too high when NOT at 210 c.  5w-30 is more suited and will come up to temp better.

2.) The breather may or may not help.  This is an abnormally cold winter.

3.) The K-series breather lets a lot more dirt in, so if you run during the summer, you are downgrading.

4.) The magnum blows 15% or more air than a K series.  You need to simply get the engine hotter.  This cannot be done on the flywheel side, however you can block off some on the exit side.  Or pull the head tin off for the winter only.

5.) If the oil is not overfull, but smells gassy, you do not have problems.  It is just not getting hot enough to evaporate the heavy rich mixture used to start it each time. 

To summerize:  Get the engine hotter, longer!!!!!

TunaSlayet

Well, I was putting in the 30wt in hole of the winter finally giving up, but I will change it out again to avoid damage to the engine. Is there a trick to getting one o these motors to heat up? I have tried running low and high rpm, and it is definitely loaded up pushing snow. I guess the next step is pulling the tins? Hopefully it just warms up soon. The real solution here is to just build a heated shed to store my tractors. The hot to cold is no good. Thanks again guys, and I will throw up some pics once the oil clears up.

Callen

Don't remove any tins except to clean under them. put them all back on. Just THROW a shop towel over the debrie screen on the flywheel while it is running. the air flow will hold it on there till you shut it off. NOTE: THROW it over it so you don't get caught up and pulled into it.

Edited by Callen

TunaSlayet

Hahah! That sounds kind of fun! Maby I can get it to shine my boot for me! I think I am coming up with a new attachment here. A whole untapped market share of wheelhorse guys with dull boots! No seriously tho, I am going to try that, and thanks for the input!

Ed Kennell

Hey Terry, Sounds like a market for a new OSHA  decal.  

CAUTION... strangulation and embarrassment  may result from neck ties, mini skirts and other loose clothing getting sucked into the air intake  :no:  :confusion-helpsos:

TunaSlayet

So we got more snow, bout 6". Tried the shop towel trick, and it worked great! Ran it for about 10 minutes after most of the plowing was done, and checked the dipstick. I could actually see small amounts of steam coming from the dip stick. So again, thank you to all that have helped me through this sludgy issue. I plowed for about 45 minutes prior, and checked it. The engine was not very hot, and there was still a lot of sludge build up on the dip stick. So after all is said and done, I think It would be useful to come up with a way to restrict or regulate the airflow on the engines. Possibly somehow controlled by a thermostat. It is a trade off between reliability, and versatility I guess. Even a winter cover like you see on big rigs? Covering just enough grate area to allow the engine to heat up. Might have to look into that for next winter.

post-12915-0-29429400-1425590208_thumb.j

post-12915-0-30205800-1425590236_thumb.j

boovuc

Well Tuna..............everyone here will tell you that heat is the enemy of your engine. You on the other hand can't get enough of it! You did the best you could on the issue. I wouldn't lose sleep over it. You may find that 10w-30 motor oil won't give you that problem or maybe not as bad. Why? I have no earthly idea but hey.................what do you have to lose!?

TunaSlayet

Just wanted to follow up to give some sort of conclusion here. After running around mowing and towing for a day, I check the oil and low and behold, it looks greatly improved! It really need to just blow off some steam I guess. Thanks to all that helped, and good luck.

post-12915-0-89483700-1429779423_thumb.j

rmaynard

Thanks for the follow-up.