haeffnkr

What year is this tractor?

haeffnkr

Hello,

I have some kind of old RJ -

It has a leather shift boot.

Any idea what year it is?

Is the built in tounge normal?

There is somekind of gauge in the trans case I assume it is just a plug for the case from the PO...so dont laugh.

There is a old Briggs motor on it now, I think...any ideas?

Obviously wrong seat...but seat on the seat is WH vintage I think...I bought it from someone a long time ago? Any guestimates?

First pics is a k-9X that I plan to put in it some day.

http://webpages.charter.net/haeffkr/wh_rj/

thanks Kevin

linen beige

Very early 1958 model RJ-58! :banghead:

The large drawbar and it's framework is not factory. And I have not a clue why someone would put a pressure guage on the transmission, unless they just needed to plug the hole and that's all they had handy.

Very straight, solid looking machine. The original pan seat for these early ones was a bit different than the most commonly found ones. If I remember right, the early ones were not as wide and were deeper dish?

Looks like a PRIME candidate for a full, show quality resoration. Nice find. :USA:

BPjunk

It is hard to believe that two of these early series 1958 RJ's have turned up in the past month. In the past decade only a few have been known to survive. What ever you do DO NOT DESTROY THE LEATHER SHIFTER BOOT, this is EXSTREAMLY RARE :USA:

Good Find :banghead:

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

Guest fireman

Isn't there something about the rear hubs that date it whether it's an earlier one or not. Someone told me the ones that have just the 3 hole flange are the older ones and the full round ones with five holes are newer (Could be reverse of that). Anyone know for sure about that :banghead: ?

sorekiwi

Isn't there something about the rear hubs that date it whether it's an earlier one or not. Someone told me the ones that have just the 3 hole flange are the older ones and the full round ones with five holes are newer (Could be reverse of that). Anyone know for sure about that :banghead: ?

You're right - the reverse of that. Round Hubs early, 3 ear hubs are later

bell

NICE! :banghead:

pond195520032003

:omg: Nice find Kevin :banghead: good luck with the restoration :USA:

T-Mo

Kevin,

That doesn't look like a C-160! :USA: Nice find. :banghead:

Have you sold the 702 and 753 yet?

linen beige

You're right - the reverse of that. Round Hubs early, 3 ear hubs are later

you're both right. In a way. :banghead: The earliest had round flange hubs with only three holes for mounting the wheels. Then came round flange hubs with five holes, then the three eared hubs that were used on up into the early '60s.

haeffnkr

thanks for all the responses so far....

So then I have the earliest hubs and that dates the tractor to early '58?

How rare is this model? was there 10 made or 100 made or does anyone have real numbers or guesses only?

I was looking at the pictures in the gallery - what makes it a '58 vs something earlier - I could not easily see the differences in the pre 58 models and mine.

The draw bar kind of looks like factory - was the only thing originally the slot hitch back there?

Is it missing anything?

Maybe if someone could put up a picture or send me one so I could see the detail in the back of the tractor to compare?

Seats -

linen beige - are you saying the original seat was a similar to "tractor style" seat like I have in the pics or it was a pan seat like the 7XX series?

No one commented on the motors -

My K 9X is it close to the original K-9X used on RJs?

I have not looked at the motor on the tractor now...I guess it is not anything WH vintage.

treed - I have the c-160 coming home soon...

The history on this is I bought it from a guy in some town in Illinois - around Alton - north of it or something....about 8-9 years ago, as is, for 100 or 125 dollars - IIRC.

It has been sitting in a shed as is on my country place, until last Sunday when I loaded it up and brought to the house in town.

So then with a decent resto job and getting some original motor/parts on it - what is this worth?

thanks Kevin

pond195520032003

Kevin, if it had been earlier :banghead: it would be a belt drive tractor(no transmission) and would be know as a POND! 1955-1957! :omg: hope this clears that up :USA:

DMESS

It would seem something is only rare until the rest come out of the wood work! It's amazing how things seem to happen in two's and three's. I've gone so many years not seeing another one of these and now they're dropping out of the sky. :USA:

I just addressed all the unique features in a recent post so I won't go into them again. YES, this is a super early RJ-58 and there are parts on there you might not want to let leave your sight.

For those interested, you can see some factory pictures of these VERY early '58's right on the parts/operation manual for the CBR-32 cutter bar. The pictured tractor demonstrates the early features like the narrow RJ-35 style front wheel/tire combo, smaller/deeper pan seat, leather boot, round 3 bolt hubs etc.

As far as a power plant the Kohler K-90 T was most commonly found on these machines and later replaced with the K-91 T. The B-1200/B1290 Clinton was used as well. The K-90 you have pictured would work although is is not a T spec. The air cleaner placement and lack of recoil mounting will be your biggest hurdles.

Congrats on the wonderful find. :banghead:

wallfish

Welcome to the early RJ58 club Kevin! Could you please send me that leather boot so I can look at it? :banghead:

Does anyone know about the tube for the lift cable that's in the last 2 pics?

Is that a metal tube and the correct original routing for the cable?

sorekiwi

Does anyone know about the tube for the lift cable that's in the last 2 pics?

Is that a metal tube and the correct original routing for the cable?

That looks just like the lift cable on my (later) RJ58. The outer piece is like conduit, spirally wound. Routing looks the same too.

stevinator

Great find and a great one to restore.I have a 58 that has the three ear hubs and came with a clinton on it.I have a briggs on it until I can either find parts for the clinton or go with a kohler.

linen beige

That looks just like the lift cable on my (later) RJ58. The outer piece is like conduit, spirally wound. Routing looks the same too.

I just wanted to say that looks like the cable on my RJ, and both my 400s.

Kevin, Try this link. it's the posts Dustin was talking about.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=5809