Pete Monteiro

416 h starts to get sluggish in the cold plowing

Pete Monteiro

Hello everyone. I have a 416 H that gets a bit sluggish when I plow. If I stop and let it run for a minute it is fine. The fluid level is good and every things greased. It has been about 10 degrees for a few weeks and I've plowed about 4 feet of snow with it so far. Do you think its just the cold weather ? Been fine all summer.

rmaynard

:WRS:

It will be sluggish in cold weather until the fluid gets warmed up, If you have been plowing though, it should be plenty warm, so you can't blame it on cold fluid. I would drain the transmission oil, install a new Wheel Horse/Toro hydro filter, and replace the oil with fresh 10W30, preferably fully synthetic.

• Like 1

Pete Monteiro

Thanks Bob. Going to do that right after this Blizzard

rexman72

nothing runs right in this cold and I mean nothing

boovuc

:text-yeahthat:

Rexman is correct and if your mixture is slightly off, the difference in temp will effect how it runs. Also if you haven't done so, you may want to open up and clean the guts of the crankcase breather under the air cleaner assembly. If it is getting plugged or if their is a lot of moisture in it, it can effect how that Onan runs in extreme cold.

Docwheelhorse

I wonder if the oil is so cold its not returning to the sump fast enough and your running out of fluid??? Is that even possible with these? Maybe add a bottle of marvel mystery to thin the oil out and see if it runs better... then swap it out when it gets back to normal temps..... I bet the transmission doesn't get very warm at all in single digits and especially if you run over the snow and the train is covered...

Tony

can whlvr

is the tranny pulley getting wet and slipping?

Pete Monteiro

I dont think it is slipping. It has been record cold for about a month now. As soon as I shovel off my roof for the third time this year I'm going to put it in my heated garage and out of the barn. Going to change fluid and filter tomorrow. This will be my first and LAST HYDRO !!! Thank god I have a couple dozen 8 speed horses because I may need them ALL for this hell of a month.........   Just thinking about when this snowpack melts and the flooding that will follow. 

boovuc

Here in the mountains of Pennsylvania, when there is a large snowpack, you can only pray for warm days and cold nights. The trouble would be a rain event and a 60 to 70 degree day without an overnight low below freezing!

As long as it turns cold at night, it will melt off without serious flooding. I hope so for your sake and a lot of other members here.

rexman72

here in maine we haven't gotten above 25 degrees all month and the snowstorms  we are getting are large storms with high winds and below zero temps so it take a while for my tractor to get moving period.

pfrederi

I know Eatons are really popular here...but I will take my Sundstrand Electro 12 running ATF any day over th 418 A eaton.  I even changed the eaton over to Mobil 1 this year, still takes a long time to be ready just to pick up the snowblower so i can move her out the door so I do not asphyxiate myself in the shop.  I really do not see enough advantage in response time using the Mobil 1 to justify the added cost.

The elctro 12 will pick up her blade and move out to warm up immediately (Well the Kohler need a few seconds to handle engaging the hydro)

• Like 1

Hodge71

:text-yeahthat::text-goodpost::text-+1: I couldnt agree more with Paul. Same feeling on the Mobil1 as well. I cannot justify a $50 oil change unless I can keep it i there for 200 hours...especially with no appreciable gains in usage time. All my Sundstrands have transmission fluid in them and there isn't 1 that has given me fits no matter how cold it is. I was plowing with the Charger12 on Sunday and it was -13..

Edited by Hodge71

Ken B

:text-yeahthat::text-goodpost::text-+1: I couldnt agree more with Paul. Same feeling on the Mobil1 as well. I cannot justify a $50 oil change unless I can keep it i there for 200 hours...especially with no appreciable gains in usage time. All my Sundstrands have transmission fluid in them and there isn't 1 that has given me fits no matter how cold it is. I was plowing with the Charger12 on Sunday and it was -13..

Don't jinx yourself Jeff! :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

• Like 1

Hodge71

Don't jinx yourself Jeff! :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Yeah I know...with all the problems Ive had with the 18 Automatic I shouldn't say a cross word bout anything Ken ...lol