tractorhogg

Why are the D series tanks different sizes?

tractorhogg

It doesn't seem to be by year, can someone enlighten me? Thanks

pfrederi

I think it was engine size.  The 20 hp had the big tanks.  Fuel economy was not a strong point.

JackC

The D-200 has the larger tank.  The D-160 and D-180 have the same size smaller tank.

The more powerful D-200 is the better platform for a loader and backhoe.  

When a backhoe is mounted to the back of the tractor the tank is relocated to on top of a rear fender.

If you are using such a vehicle for a lot of work and feeding 20 hard working ponies you do not want to be refueling often.

• Like 1

tractorhogg

I think it was engine size.  The 20 hp had the big tanks.  Fuel economy was not a strong point.

I went and looked, I think you're right. I've only seen the taller/bigger tanks on the D-200's

alswagg

Well I can tell ya, I have both a D180 with the larger rear tank and a D200 Backhoe/Loader with the smaller fender mounted tank.  Sooo, oh, fuel economy is not any differant also.  Basically the same motor, identical drive train.  In reallity, I can't tell the differance in power output at all.  Rarely do I even run at wot either, only while snow blowing, but the govenor takes over and holds down the rpm. 

• Like 1

ericj

you really need to tun your motor at or close to wide open throttle wot. you run the risk of hurting you hydro pump at low throttle. something about not circulating enough and also not dissipating the heat. i don't always run wot either if just moving the tractor , but you should run at least half throttle and if working the tractor no less then 3/4 throttle. the pumps on these tractors are getting harder to find and are not cheap to repair so take care of it for your own good. but in the lone run it is your tractor to do with as you please..... 

eric j

• Like 1