formariz

After the Magnum 16S, now a Briggs Vanguard 16 Twin

formariz

I think that after I got real lucky and bought a never used Magnum 16S for $400.00, I am going to get lucky again.

There is the opportunity to get a brand new Briggs Vanguard 16 Twin . I am not sure of price yet but seems to be in line with the other one. What would be a great price for this one?

Edited by formariz

boovuc

Lets compare to a ready to drop into a 520-H Vanguard. There is a 23 horse Vanguard that is Wheelhorse 520-H ready complete with the electrical connections, muffler, etc. (Not all of them drop right in as there is always some fanangling involved but you get the idea). This 23 horse Vanguard is advertised on-line at 1800 bucks plus shipping which isn't cheap but again........it is WH ready.

Your 16 horse Vanguard should be looked at as brand new with a three year Briggs & Stratton Warranty. Deduct value from it if it isn't brand new and no warranty.

Your Vanguard needs to be inch and an eighth diameter shaft. If not and it's inch, you need to buy an inch to inch and an eighth sleeve to adapt to WH use. If it's over inch and an eigth, it won't work on a WH.

If your Briggs doesn't have a muffler, you'll need to buy one. They are about 150 to 250 bucks and you may need to get the exhaust manifolds also.

You may need to make an adapter plate for a WH tractor to get it lined up to where the crank is compatible to stock.

You'll need to rewire it for tractor use since this may or may not have the start, on/off components already mounted on the engine or wires hanging for a possible different use depending on the spec number.

Remember that none of this matters "if" you don't care if it mates to a Wheelhorse. Just having it on the bench can give you a warm fussy feeling!!!!!!!

You hit the lottery with the 16 horse Magnum. For lighting to strike again...........................brand new with an inch and an eighth shaft, I would say a great deal on a 16 horse Vanguard would need to have it around 800/900 bucks in your hands with an attached muffler. IMHO. 

19richie66

If you can get a v-twin Briggs for $400 and its not already in you truck, you are moving too slow. Definately a deal for that. Those go for over a grand depending on size. On the other hand, I just picked up a used kohler 25 v-twin for $50 and it runs. Deals are out there. Good luck.

formariz

I may have found the engine honey hole! It is a 1-1/8" shaft. Its in the same place the Magnum was and I hit it real well with the seller. What a great guy. Engine was covered when I was there, he just gave a sneaky  peak at it, enough for me to see what it was. He has now reached out and shown interest in letting it go. I in turn, of course the sucker that I am for these finds, also have shown interest on it, although I absolutely have no real use for it at this point. But then I also have no use for the other dozen or so NOS engines here. The Magnum is to be a spare for my Electro just in case I needed it. Lets see where this one goes.

Edited by formariz

Aussie

I didn't think they make a 23 hp Vanguard with an 1 1/8" shaft?

Howie

I know they did in a vertical shaft, not sure on a horizontial shaft engine.

David

Don1977

You can order  a 1 1/8" shaft on a Vanguard V-twin but most you see will have a 1" shaft.

Howie

Probably is that way, I have done a couple of Vanguard engines in the last 10 months or so and both were 1 1/8. Both were on zero turn mowers.

I had brain fade because I figured by eyeballing that is was 1 in on the first one and it wasn't. Didn't notice it until bolted on. Lesson learned at 

least for now, measure the shaft!

David