formariz

Is my old battery charger working?

formariz

Had a Sears battery charger for the last 30 years or so. Never really tested it with a voltmeter and it has always worked. Lately I am not sure it is charging anymore. If I connect a voltmeter to it it reads at -1.00 when in any charge mode.is this right? When it start mode it will read at over 13 volts.

boovuc

Doesn't look as though it is charging. If it isn't an automatic charger, it should be supplying a voltage above 12.5 volts minimally. The Start mode is usually dependent on a major draw and as such it may not be accurate. 

pacer

Most - or all newer - chargers have to sense voltage to activate, something like 3v?, though with yours being that old seems like it shouldnt have that feature?? If you check voltage it wont show anything - or, as I have always done touch the 2 leads together and see if I get the spark.

I've always thought that feature was pretty dumb, if you leave your lights on or ? and the battery is completely flat youre outa luck, sorta defeats the purpose of having a charger that wont charge...

ericj

try checking a battery to get base line voltage then ad the charger and see if it increases the voltage. a slightly depleated battery would be best for this test but any battery will or should work

eric j

cod

I've got an older charger myself I and if I was looking to replace it, is there any model or brand that folks would recommend?  The charger I have was made by Allstate and it has a meter and switch that toggles between 6 and 12 volts.  I think my mom bought it with S&H Green Stamps and while it still works, I can't help but think that charger technology must have improved between the mid 50's and now.  I've where some of you talk about "trickle" chargers which I suspect might be better for most batteries but I really don't know so any advice or suggestions would be great.

Cod

formariz

I decided to get another another one. Since Harbor Freight was having a sale and regardless of what charger you buy anywhere are made in China I broke down and got it from there.

I think I am going to take it back, because even though on the box it states that it is automatic, that it switches to trickle charging once charge is complete, in the actual instructions it states that once in the trickle charge mode it will continually feed the battery a two amp charge and if not disconnected it will overcharge battery.

There is no point to it if one can not leave the battery charging  with peace of mind while away from it.

Don1977

I got a sears one my dad had that quit working. Tore into it found one of the brass slip on terminals was broken off.  Made that connection and it's working again.