bionicfisherman

tall chute blower rebuild?

bionicfisherman

I was out blowing some snow last night a noticed chain was a little loose.... I grabbed the chain a gave it a tug and the whole auger moved. Anyone rebuild a auger before? Under further inspection I see the sprocket on the auger is very worn out tooth wise, is this something that could be cut and welded?

post-12527-0-30781700-1423608179_thumb.j

post-12527-0-63522500-1423608181_thumb.j

Edited by bionicfisherman

baerpath

Yes sprocket can be changed

ericj

there is several  threads on here about rebuild of blowers good luck

eric j

• Like 1

bionicfisherman

there is several  threads on here about rebuild of blowers good luck

eric j

Yes sprocket can be changed

Can you point me in the right direction?

MalMac

Do a search for 42 inch Auger,  Deer Whisper had to replace one. It's a good post about just replacing the sprocket.

Edited by MalMac
  • Like 1

Kurt-NEPA

I picked up a basket case single stage tall chute last summer.  All the bearings were gone, but went I got it apart the auger shaft sprocket was worse than yours.  I almost scrapped the whole unit.  But I took a chance,  I cut the old sprocket off the shaft and bought a new hub and sprocket from McMaster.  I had to bore out the hub to fit the auger shaft.  Then I positioned it and cross drilled for a bolt.  Its been working like new all winter. 

But if I had a welder, I would have just cut off the old sprocket and welded in a new one.  If I remember correctly it was a 55 tooth #40 chain sprocket.  TSC had them, so does Surplus Center.  You might still have to bore it out to fit the shaft.

Best of luck

can whlvr

I have rebuilt 3 throwers,a couple more than once,if the sprocket is that worn I would suspect she is in need of all 4 bearings and both idlers too,look at the drive sprocket too,these throwers work great but do take a beating and if all parts are not in good shape something will break,i live in a snow belt and the throwers get a lot of use so im just giving my opinion,ya it costs,but in the end when shes tearing through a foot of snow its nice to be able to count on it

• Like 2

bionicfisherman

I'm going to limp it through the rest of this winter and rebuild it over the summer. It will give me time to source out the parts to fix it. I've done the two shaft bearing 2 years ago but I might as well just replace everything all at once and save them as spare units. If any one has part numbers or alternate sources other then Toro for cheap parts the info would be welcomed.