Sign in to follow this  
Projekt B-60

Steering Tie Rod Issues!!

Projekt B-60

Hello, I'm restoring my B-60. I purchased a pair of replacement Tie Rods from Ebay: Tie Rod

The description says these will fit any Wheel Horse 1960-92.

After adjusting the length to match that of my stock tie rods, I noticed the tie rod end is threaded onto the tie-rod only 2 full turns!! Are two threads nearly enough to handle the turning forces during normal operation, for example, while plowing snow?

Has anybody had any problems with these adjuatable tie rods?

Any info much appreciated.

Raider12

Just two (2) turns is not enough for me to be comfortable with! I have always wanted a depth of a thread to be equal to it's diameter. Meaning that if you were threading a 1/2" bolt onto something threaded. For it to be at it's max strength it would have thread in 1/2" as well. Two turns of a tie rod dos'nt sound like enough to me. The tread size on this tie rod is probably only about a 1/4" ? :banghead:

Denver

Duff

After adjusting the length to match that of my stock tie rods, I noticed the tie rod end is threaded onto the tie-rod only 2 full turns!! Are two threads nearly enough to handle the turning forces during normal operation, for example, while plowing snow?

Hmmm- when I was rebuilding my 312-8 I actually got a new set from a reputable parts supplier who had them listed as equivalent to the OEM WH part number. When I got them and put them on, I noticed that in order to achieve just a tiny bit of toe-in I had to back them out to almost their full length, and I think I've only got three or four threads holding. They seem to be hanging in there OK, but this winter I may just readjust to neutral camber (is that the right term?) and let the tires run parallel. I doubt at tractor speeds it will have much effect on the handling. I am in agreement with Denver - depth of thread equal to diameter if at all possible.

Experts, your thoughts/opinions/advice, please?

Duff :banghead:

CasualObserver

Make your own out of steel rod and a couple of threaded ball joints. Get smooth rod and cut threads at the ends, and then you can get these nice heim style joints from McMaster Carr, they really do a nice job. (You could also use standard universal ball joint ends, but at the same price, why?)

heim_joint.jpg

heim_joint2.jpg

I haven't made any for a WH yet, but I use them on my Cub 100, and they work well.

cubheim1.jpg

Butch
Make your own out of steel rod and a couple of threaded ball joints.

oldandred

I have a lawn ranger some one not only made them adjustable on the hold long they are but the tops of the joint are adjustable there on my little stinker diesel

BPjunk

Hello, I'm restoring my B-60. I purchased a pair of replacement Tie Rods from Ebay: Tie Rod

Any info much appreciated.

Some thing does not sound right here. <_<

The only exspearance I have with the adjustable tie rods on a set that were cut down to fit a 1963 model 633 .... so right away you see that the adjustable don't fit all models. :banghead: Now it might be the heim joints are not the correct lenth. The lenth on the tie rods should be 9-3/4 inches with the outer stud pointing down in the spindle arm and the inner stud pointing towards the rear of the tractor. :USA:

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

Duff

Some thing does not sound right here.

The only exspearance I have with the adjustable tie rods on a set that were cut down to fit a 1963 model 633 .... so right away you see that the adjustable don't fit all models. :banghead: