Sign in to follow this  
CHARGER9AUTO

'87 418-A

CHARGER9AUTO

I have one question on my '87 418-A when you start the tractor every red light comes on is that normal . Ben.....

Brrly1

Hello Ben Yes I believe that a normal thing . It's like when you start a car the lights come on until the car is started. Burly :banghead:

CHARGER9AUTO

Hello Ben Yes I believe that a normal thing . It's like when you start a car the lights come on until the car is started. Burly :banghead:

Hello John, I understand your answer It's like an automobile all the eletrical system lights come on when you start the Car . Ben

tasmi01

:banghead: Yes the lights should come on just before running after that they should go out

CHARGER9AUTO

:USA: Yes the lights should come on just before running after that they should go out

:banghead: for your reply to my question I was not positive how the safety lights should work . Ben

CHARGER9AUTO

I took out the old Cotter Pins that hold each front spindle in place then I degreased them with PURPLE POWER cleaner let 'em air dry in the Sun , and reassemble one spindle at a time .I did the same with the front wheels I used new Cotter Pins . The hydro lift handle was done the very same way every when restore a tractor I'd use Hitch Pins . Ben.......... :banghead: :horseplay:

CHARGER9AUTO

I think my 418-A is too power full for me no offence Tony or Mike . Ben......... :horseplay:

Docwheelhorse

I think my 418-A is too power full for me no offence Tony or Mike . Ben......... :horseplay:

Unscrew one spark plug and you will have a 409-A, that should do the trick!!! :banghead:

Tony

Sparky

I think the extra power is only noticable at the PTO when running PTO driven attachments. Your tractor wont bog down where an 8hp tractor might feel the strain of tall wet grass while mowing, hard packed soil when tilling or deep wet snow with a blower attached.

An 8hp tractor and your 418-A go about the same speed forward and reverse so I cant see how it has to much power. It only goes as fast as you ask it to.

Mike..........

CHARGER9AUTO

Mike, It's my first TWIN CYLINDER Wheel Horse tractor I meant no harm to you or Tony I have no problems with the 418-A everyone is tired of me posting about this unit. :banghead::USA: Ben......... no more :horseplay:

CHARGER9AUTO

I should not deserve this 418-A tractor my two friends is upset at me who stopped in my place to trade units Wheel Horses I don't blame them. :banghead: Ben........

Rideawaysenior

Ben,

First off how are you? I've been reading about your project with the 418-A. Let me tell you about the power that machine has. Before I sold it to Mike who then sold it to Tony and traded it to you, I took it over to my fathers house to do what he said would be some grading work. Well, his idea of grading was actuially stripping and leveling roughly 1,000 square feet of frontage down 8in. at its highes point. He needed to do this to help chanel water away from the new addition he had built.

Well, I showed up with that tractor that now sits in your yard and a 48in blade and began to work. I strapped a 100lb lead brick to the front of the plow frame to give me some down pressure. Man did that thing push. I had tire chains on and my fat A$$ was all it needed for traction. Within a day and a half, I had the job done. I can't think I have ever had so much fun while saddled up. I also turned alot of disbeleiving heads. Sure, a loader would have been faster but I didn't own one at the time.

You will get used to that machine. It takes some practice. It's kind of funny the circle it is making in its travels too. From Belchertown, MA to southern CT, and to Monson, MA. It's like a little lost dog making it's way back home. If you decide that you don't want it any more, give me a call. I have it's old home empty and waiting. I'm sure once you get used to it though, you'll never want to part with it. I kick myself every day for letting it go. It wasn't the prettiest tractor I ever owned but it sure was the most powerful. (until I got into the D Series that is)

If you think that machine has alot of power, you should try your hands on the D series machines. Those are some beasts. I have a D160, D200, and a D250.

CHARGER9AUTO

Jack, I'm fine . It's my first TWIN CYLINDER 18 HP KOHLER MAGNUM I plan to use it for snow removal work this winter I will never find one 418-A around to buy. my parents said Ben one more tractor and that's it no more for a while . Ben

CHARGER9AUTO

I took off the rear 23x9.50-12 wheels to wash them with PURPLE POWER Cleaner from my '87 418-A so they look Good . I have other 23x8.50-12 GREEN - SAVER tires with White rims to mount on the tractor or CHENG - SHIN AG's same size . I removed the Carburetor to Clean it with Carb spray then reinstalled it I like to put different turf tires but Sparky , DOCWHEELHORSE

won't except my idea . :banghead: Ben......... :horseplay:

Docwheelhorse

Ben, I sent you an email saying that it is now your "baby" and you can do anything you would like too on it. Make it unique and "all yours" Mike and I do not care if it is original or not.... I would like to see the big AG's on it... but am not sure they would be the best tire for snow blowing.

Tony

Rideawaysenior

Ben,

I'd like to chime in on this too if you don't mind. I have a set of AG tires too and tried them in the snow. I found that they are useless where I am plowing. The reason is, once the snow packs up, I don't get any traction no matter how much weight I have on the rear end. I have since used tire chains and have been able to push snow in any type of condition. There is a guy up the road from me that has a Simplicity Legacy tractor which would be comparable to the 5Xi series Wheel Horse machines. He has four wheel drive and no chains. He though he would be just fine with the 4x4 and ended up being wrong. Now for other uses, AG tires are the best. Pulling a 12in. plow through the ground I'd want nothing else on the rear but AG's.

If you do try it, let us know how you make out. Everyone else usually runs better luck then I do anyhow.

CHARGER9AUTO

Ben,

I'd like to chime in on this too if you don't mind. I have a set of AG tires too and tried them in the snow. I found that they are useless where I am plowing. The reason is, once the snow packs up, I don't get any traction no matter how much weight I have on the rear end. I have since used tire chains and have been able to push snow in any type of condition. There is a guy up the road from me that has a Simplicity Legacy tractor which would be comparable to the 5Xi series Wheel Horse machines. He has four wheel drive and no chains. He though he would be just fine with the 4x4 and ended up being wrong. Now for other uses, AG tires are the best. Pulling a 12in. plow through the ground I'd want nothing else on the rear but AG's.

If you do try it, let us know how you make out. Everyone else usually runs better luck then I do anyhow.

Jack, I meant put the 23x8.50-12 AG'S on the rear then see how they look for better traction. I mounted my 42" Dozer Blade on the 418-A to remove some dirt , dead trees that had fallen into the woods it worked Good for with plenty of Horse Power for the winter I will use Turf tires with Chains and Wheel Horse Wheel Weights to plow snow in the winter . Ben

CHARGER9AUTO

Ben, I sent you an email saying that it is now your "baby" and you can do anything you would like too on it. Make it unique and "all yours" Mike and I do not care if it is original or not.... I would like to see the big AG's on it... but am not sure they would be the best tire for snow blowing.

Tony

Tony, I put Heat Resistant Chrome Paint on the muffler first I've took off all the brackets that cover the exaust ( muffler ) you were worried about me to tear down the tractor and restore it like new It's stock no modifications to the 418-A .

Ben :banghead:

Rideawaysenior

Good to hear that the AG tires worked well. I bought my set after I sold the 418-A. All i had when I used it was a set of chains which did work well. The set of AG's I have now are mounted on my 312-H which give it plenty of traction is the dirt when I'm pulling my 12in. Brinly plow.

CHARGER9AUTO

Good to hear that the AG tires worked well. I bought my set after I sold the 418-A. All i had when I used it was a set of chains which did work well. The set of AG's I have now are mounted on my 312-H which give it plenty of traction is the dirt when I'm pulling my 12in. Brinly plow.

I have not tryed the 23x8.50-12 AG's yet I will put them on tomarrow and post some pictures " 418-A Wheel Horse Wild Horse " Ben :horseplay:

CHARGER9AUTO

I worked on the 418-A and put new used Belt Guides because the one's on the tractor were worn out from over the years of use off another Hydro C-121 AUTOMATIC parts tractor first I wired brushed them down and washed 'em with soap and water then put them in the Sun to air dry . after that I took some Black spray Paint to penetrate rust to match the Color of my 418 . Ben......... :horseplay:

Rideawaysenior

Ben,

Sounds like you really have it together with what you are doing with your new machine. If you ever get a chance, put some pics up and show us how its coming out.

Jack

CHARGER9AUTO

Jack, I tested the tractor out to remove some dirt with my 42" Wheel Horse Dozer Blade It worked Good . I ride the 418-A everyday to Get familar with the unit I will post some pictures. I need to find the time to take them . Ben

CHARGER9AUTO

I removed the blower shroud on my 418-A to spray PB BLASTER LUBRICANT on the starter's Gear shaft because it sounded loud each time the tractor was started

now It's fixed . :banghead: Ben