Nathanielperz

Diesel Engine Help

Nathanielperz

Hey guys I was wondering if I could get some advice on a diesel that I would like to buy... its a Changchai S195 which by the name im sure you can tell is a Chinese engine... are these any good? How much should I pay for it? How do the do in cold weather?

Any and all help is welcome!!!

Thanks in advance, Nate

shallowwatersailor

Even though it is a single cylinder, that is a heavy engine. It weighs approximately 300 pounds and it looks rather large. The external flywheel is 18" in diameter. It is water-cooled so should have a long service life. Parts would be a major concern. What is the price that you have. I found a used with 1100 + hours for $2800.00 attached to a 8 Kw generator set.

Nathanielperz

I can get it for $450... Where did you find that info shallow? I can't find any info about it anywhere...

Thanks, Nate

shallowwatersailor

Just by checking the web. Do you have any info as to dimensions, etc?

Nathanielperz

Yes I do... Its 30in long 21in tall and 18 in wide with the pulley...

But if I relocate the air filter and gas tank it should fit in my tractor fine...

shallowwatersailor

There are two tanks on top. One is the fuel tank and the other is the radiator/watertank. It might be difficult to lower it that way. You might be able to drop the oil sump between the frame rails. Do you have access to prints for it?

On YouTube, there are some videos of this engine running. One of them had negative comments about the quality of the mating gaskets for the water tank, and the flywheel bearings. But these aren't items that can't be overcome. Sounds and looks like an interesting project.

SALTYWRIGHT

I HAVE PUT 2 DIESELS IN WHEEL HORSES. ONE A 10  H/P IN A 417-8 AND ANOTHER 6 H/P IN A 1054. BOTH WERE NEW AND COST LESS THAN $500.00 EACH. THEY ARE AIR COOLED. I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THESE DIESELS. WATER COOLED MEANS A LOT MORE THINGS TO WORK OUT.  YOU CAN CALL ME AT 203-846-0755   RUSS

Nathanielperz

I think that 21in is short enough to fit under the hood...if not then that's a bridge we'll have to cross when we get to it right?