zanepetty

753 starter generator

zanepetty

Hello everyone. For the past week or so, when I go to start my tractor, it takes it a second to start turning over. Once it gets going it's fine. I know I had a low battery but my question is, have I caused a lot of wear on my starter generator by doing this??😧 just dawned on me that this is probably horrible. Thanks guys,

Zane

Save Old Iron

Assuming you are asking about the "delay", not enough info has been given to determine if the SG motor is an issue or the wiring / relay / ignition switch is at fault.

Save Old Iron

Do you always get a delay, even if the engine is warm and you try to restart it?

zanepetty

if I have been riding it then no, it doesn't delay. Also when I hooked it to a hot battery the delay isn't there. And by delay I don't mean that the starter doesn't kick in, it just takes a sec for it to finally get the engine turning. I'm pretty sure it's my battery. I'm just concerned that I've caused a bunch of damage to my starter generator.

Edited by zanepetty

kudzu3

I'm certainly not an expert, but I can't imagine any damage caused by a weak battery. I still  want pictures :happy-jumpeveryone:

Tristan Wilson
  • your belt could be lose
  • Like 1

Coadster32

I know on my 854, I usually have to spin the flywheel backwards a bit for the initial starting to get past the compression stroke. I have seen other do this as well, so I don't pay any mind to it. Now when I park it, I spin it so it's ready to go next time. If I don't do this, the belt squeals. This would help a weaker battery get it going as well.

zanepetty

If I hook mine to a booster it doesn't do this. I just didn't want the weak battery to be hard on my s/g (which I've heard of). Also my belt is tight👠I'm working on pics, tommy!

Tristan Wilson

having a week battery shouldn't hurt a s/g it will only hurt the battery more what hurts s/g it having the belt to tight and wearing out the brass busings inside it

zanepetty

I may or may not have put it on too tight initially but it was a brand new belt. I checked it today and it's right. My tractor has 12 hours on it. Do you think it's damaged?

Edited by zanepetty

bmsgaffer

A high load on a slow moving motor (what you have) will cause a little more wear and build up on the brushes, but I doubt you have done any damage over a week. If it stalls you could burn up windings potentially, but again, that would be extreme.

Same with the belt, if the tension is right now and there's no noticeable sideways play in the shaft (which I doubt there is) I am sure you are fine.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

Save Old Iron

Zane, those SG's are a lot like you and me. The minute we area born we start to wear out and die. This gradual decline is only a problem if you choose to dwell on the decline and not enjoy the ride.

If you lose sleep over the low battery effect on the SG,

Replace the battery.

• Like 1

zanepetty

Gotcha. Thanks fellas. I appreciate you all.