nrowles

Plow Frame Too Short?

nrowles

I imagine its as simple as wrong plow frame for my tractor but figure I would ask on here. I have a 1981 C145. The plow was given to me by someone that had one laying around not knowing what model and year it belongs to. The plow frame mounts up just fine and I can raise and lower just fine. However when I angle the blade it hits the tires before it reaches the locking hole. The plow frame appears to be about 4" too short. Any ideas tips suggestion thought?

Jake Kuhn

sounds like you have a blade from a short frame tractor, you can use them if you don't angle it, but otherwise, you will need the long frame for your tractor.

• Like 1

Geno

We could easily tell if you could post a pic of it.   :)    Does it have 2 sets of holes toward the rear or just 1 where the bar goes through?  

nrowles

1 set of holes. Short frame it is.

Tankman

I've lengthened a few frame.

1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 4 1/2" long angle iron, two (2) pcs.

1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 12" long angle iron, two (2) pcs.

1/2" dia rod x 4 1/2" long, one (1) pc.

1/8" dia rod x 36" long, one (1) pc.

Cut the frame forward of the lift link. tack weld the 4 1/2" spacer in, both sides.

Back up these smaller pcs using the 12" long angle iron, both sides.

Stitch well the angle iron, securely.

Cut the 1/2" dia angle rod (or whatever it's called), weld in the 1/2" x 4 1/2" rod.

Bend the 1/8" dia rod to fit the angle pin release.

Sounds like a lot of work but, easy enough and works well.  :)

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 2

nrowles

I've lengthened a few frame.

1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 4 1/2" long angle iron, two (2) pcs.

1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 12" long angle iron, two (2) pcs.

1/2" dia rod x 4 1/2" long, one (1) pc.

1/8" dia rod x 36" long, one (1) pc.

Cut the frame forward of the lift link. tack weld the 4 1/2" spacer in, both sides.

Back up these smaller pcs using the 12" long angle iron, both sides.

Stitch well the angle iron, securely.

Cut the 1/2" dia angle rod (or whatever it's called), weld in the 1/2" x 4 1/2" rod.

Bend the 1/8" dia rod to fit the angle pin release.

Sounds like a lot of work but, easy enough and works well.  :)

Thanks but I don't have these tools to cut that thick of steel and don't have a welder and it would probably cost me as much to have this done or get the tools as what it would to find a used plow setup.  I will just try to sell mine and buy the one that is correct.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

Tankman

Thanks but I don't have these tools to cut that thick of steel and don't have a welder and it would probably cost me as much to have this done or get the tools as what it would to find a used plow setup.  I will just try to sell mine and buy the one that is correct.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

The frame I stretched was a long frame but, needed the extra length for the '90 520-8. My 520 has the forward swept axle.

You could, if your plow doesn't have a five (5) position angle, drill additional holes. Just enough so the plow blade doesn't hit the front tires.

I'm guessing your plow only has left, right and center angle positions?

FYI. For my extension I had a friend form 12 ga CRS channels. Welded 'em at home; old eyes don't see great anymore but, useable. I've used the plow often. Rope is holding the shift arm, sorry impedes view.

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 1