bds1984

C-165 refresh

Wheel-N-It
Very Very Very nice!  Are there any worker plans for that tractor?
  • Like 1

Pullstart

there's a solid refresh for sure!  nice work

• Like 2

AMC RULES
All of it looks great...    :text-woo:
but, that diamond plate is the shizzle. 
  • Like 2

Ken B

That really does look nice! Might be time for a forward swept with some tri ribs up front and ags out back for my C-165...
20150606_124817_zpshozrwjul.jpg

• Like 5

bds1984

Oh she will be used to work on occasion.  I do have a snowblower, roto-tiller, and a 48--inch deck to use. I mowed a friends's small yard with her today, running her at 2900 rpm and never missed a beat. Daily work will probably be shifted towards the 520H I have once I decide on what engine to repower it with. 

• Like 1

bds1984

I picked up a new 48-inch deck today. It has never seen grass! The downfall is that it is for a 270 series machine, but, it has all the mounting holes that my current deck uses so it looks like I just have to swap pulleys and the attachamattic system to the new deck and I'm set.

20150719_221110.jpeg

20150719_221041.jpeg

• Like 4

Ken B

Ya gotta admit, there ain't nothing like a nice quiet mower deck!

• Like 1

bds1984

The old deck is pretty quiet, just getting soft in one spot so I decided to get this deck and swap a few bits around. For the price, I couldn't turn it down!  I'll most likely be selling the old deck since the spindles are good and I don't need it. Someone could.
I am glad I put the swept forward axle on,  think with the different gauge wheels on it may not fit!  Here is what it looks like.

20150721_205957_resized.jpg

20150721_210008_resized.jpg

20150721_210019_resized.jpg

20150721_210033_resized.jpg

20150721_152138_resized.jpg

20150720_181934_resized.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Wheel-N-It
That C-165 looks like its built for a purpose now. I really like how the new deck fits so well with the swept forward axle. Good work!
  • Like 1

DennisThornton

I see a hitch like that in my future!

• Like 1

bds1984

The hitch was really easy Dennis.  I had an extra hitch laying around that I cut down to fit.  

I still haven't even used it to mow the lawn since I put the brand new deck on it.... I'm kind of afraid to use it!

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Very nice!  What size are the rear tires?

• Like 1

bds1984

23 x 10.50 x 12. I raised the fender an inch to help clear the wheels. I may lower the transmission an inch just to give more.

• Like 1

DennisThornton

23 x 10.50 x 12. I raised the fender an inch to help clear the wheels. I may lower the transmission an inch just to give more.

Thought they were bigger than that!  I thought 23x10.5x12s would fit OK.  Surprised!

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

23x10.5x12 are stock tires on the 520s, should fit with no modifications!

Are you using the 8.5" rims or stock C 7.5" rims? If you kept the narrower rim I could see how it may get close because the tire will "balloon" up in the middle a bit more when inflated.

Just took a look at the pics, and you are most likely using the narrow rims! Makes more sense now.

• Like 2

bds1984

They are the narrower rims which made the tires baloon out a little. I'd like to find a set of 520-h rims to match the swept axle up front. I like the look of the extra clearance, it makes the tractor appear more stout than she already is.

• Like 2

Wheel-N-It

It looks great as is to me, but I can see where that extra inch of wheel on each side would also make the tractor look more balanced with the swept front axle. Its not easy to find those 520 wheels around here without buying a 520 tractor LOL.  I'd like to find another set for a future project tractor but right now I only have one set of the 520 wheels.

• Like 1

bds1984

It needs the extra width.  I think it looks off, but then, I notice it when most people don't.  If I can have access to a metal lathe for a couple hours I would make some wheel spacers and then install wheel studs so when I load the rear tires it wont be such a chore to re-install the tires.  I have a 520 rolling chassis that I would have sourced all the parts from but it is an early model so it was no different than my C165.  

• Like 1

bds1984

Update. I had the rear rims loaded with TL90? which added 190 pounds to it! She is ready to push snow or gravel now!

• Like 2

bds1984

Well, since 520-H rims aren't in my budget at the moment, I bought a pair of 1.5'' wheel spacers to even out the stance.  Just waiting for the snow to fly to get some seat time!

20151210_174414_resized.jpg

20151210_175305_resized.jpg

20151210_182158_resized.jpg

Edited by bds1984
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

roadapples

Nice job, looks great. What is the steering wheel off of.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

You sure did a lot of work and it turned out great. Wish I had time , money and knowledge so I could do something like your tractor.

• Like 1

bds1984

Well so says ebay, the sterring wheel came of a Toro Groundsmaster 345. Don't worry, the Toro sticker has been removed and a WH cap installed! 

• Like 1

bds1984

I figure I should update this thread with the most recent picture(s).  Gone are the ags up front in favor of 18-8.50X8 turfs and an NOS hood with all decals finally installed.  The generator is the 7200 watt unit one can get from Harbor Freight which is easily powered by the K341; enough to get me through any power outage I may experience.  Lastly, the rear cast iron wheel weights that add over fifty pounds per side.  In addition to the rear tires loaded with Rim-Guard, I am at just over 160 pounds per side now.

generator 1.1.jpg

generator 1.2.jpg

C165 Tiller 1.0.jpg

C165 WW1.0.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1