Sign in to follow this  
Hodge71

Tranny leaks 18 automatic

Hodge71

Well I'm without a computer and running off of tap a talk to try to keep up with the forum. I'm having another issue with my 18. During the summer mowing season it started leaking around the manifold that bolts to the top. I thought it had blown the o rings out so I just parked it and started using the c-160 to mow the 6 acres on the ponderosa. I pulled the line set and the o rings looked a bit squished for the high pressure side. I replaced all of the o rings and the backers with new to be safe. It's still leaking. Where else could this thing be leaking from that it's filling up the little divot on the top of the hydro motor and running down the axle? I'm going to try to get my gimpy hand working today and pull the back wheel weight off and wheel too and see any other places it could be leaking from. It's not just a little leak, it runs out pretty good and it was completely dry until the leak started in the summer. I'm lost at this point and my stupid arm makes working on things twice as long and 4 times as painful if I need it to help. Please give me some ideas before I get too far. This tractor has always been my dream machine but it sure tried my patience over the last 4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pfrederi

Did you look at the "special" washer?? 4-67?  I have used copper crush washers and more recently steel and rubber sealing washers from Mc Master.  I can send you one if you need it.

post-1023-0-04385100-1419611303.jpg

Hodge71

I have them Paul. I have a local hydraulic guy that can build me the o-ring kit that toro sells for $22, he builds for 4.50+tax. The "special" washers included. The leak isn't coming from the manifold. It appears to be between the case and motor but only at the top by the manifold. It's too difficult to tell where and my arm isn't cooperating much today so I doubt I'll be getting the wheel off for a better perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Hodge71

pfrederi

If memory serves it is the top of the hydro motor that uses the 2 long (5") bolts that go through both sides of the transmission case and the motor.  Could one of those have broken or loosened up???

Hodge71

That's a possibility that I will check today while my arm is still amicable. Just got home from taking the muzzleloader for a walk. After some breakfast I'll pull that back wheel off and check. I'll report results later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hodge71

Success Paul!!! It wasn't the bolts you were speaking of but it was the 2 top bolts that hold the pump to the cast iron piece that the through bolts are in. I wish I had my laptop fixed and I could show a picture. If memory serves me right it's the top 2 bolts that go through the gasket still available from Toro. Not the two long ones that go through the gasket we made with the hammer. At least I think..... Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wildman

Don't you just love the easy fixes