Mr. 856

Custom bench seat sulky project

Mr. 856

While being a slave to the man our scrap guy/landscaper/painter/do anything guy that our company works with happened to stop by loaded and low and behold and old sulky of sorts was in the pile. Rusty......yes but solid, with tires and tractor seat and all there. Without even a hassle the guy let me have it and then the ideas started flowing. Naturally it will be towed behind my 856 for a passenger to enjoy a ride around the compound. The it dawned on me........why not make a bench seat sulky that my wife and son can both sit on and we can all go for a spin! So the project begins. I have tore the sulky down and degreased it all and have sanded it, marine cleaned it, and metal prepped it. Primed the axle assy and will do the others tomorrow. Then the bench seat design/build will begin. In my head I picture a nice read sulky frame with a nice bench seat of wood that is staind and lacured to a nice shine. Some metal framing to hold the bench together topped by a nice seat cushion for the backrest and seat. I nice foot rest. I finally decided enough was enough with the spray can paint job stuff so I purchased a nice gun and some paint supplies and will make this my first attempt at a real paint job. Will post some pictures tomorrow. Anyone else have a tow seat sulky? Im assuming mine might have been for a Bradley or maybe its home made?

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Can't wait to see what you come up with...    :popcorn: 

been thinking about one for me and my Mrs Rules too. 

• Like 1

Firpo701

Can't wait to see what you come up with...    :popcorn: 

been thinking about one for me and my Mrs Rules too. 

Me too! Wanting to put one behind the old Pond when I get it finished. :text-yeahthat::banana-gotpics:

Mr. 856

Here is what im starting with. Sorry I didn't get any pictures of it assembled. I think its pretty self explanatory. Primed piece is the axle and also the mount for the seat post also pictured. The other smaller part was the foot rest that mounted on the tube going to the tractor.The tractor seat was on it but wont be used for this project but I figured while im painting the rest of it I might aswell throw the seat in. The tires are 4.80/4.00x8 I believe and are split from dry rot however the inner tubes hold air. Rims are in decent shape but also will get redone. The tubing that goes into the axle and hooks to the tractor is not pictured nor is any of the hardware that held it all together. That will all get replaced with stainless stuff. As for the bench seat whatever I do will utilize the same seat post. Time to cut some metal and do some welding in the near future. Should be a pretty easy going project as there is not to much to this sulky. Hope to get some work done on it this weekend.

post-9448-0-09561400-1419471620_thumb.jp

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:eusa-think:  Are you going two use two individual tractor seats side by side? 

squonk

I've built a couple of sulky's the last few years. Get a bunch of left overs and start fabbin!  :thumbs:  Here's one I made out of a C-160 frame

IMG_0079_zpsa8e400b6.jpg

• Like 5

Mr. 856

:eusa-think:  Are you going two use two individual tractor seats side by side? 

That wsnt my original plan as I thought some staind wood would look nice. However now that you have mentioned it I do have another tractor seat but if it isn't an exact match then I wont bother. Having two different seats just wouldn't look right in my opinion. Think I will probably go the side by side wood bench route.

AMC RULES

Me...   :confusion-shrug: 

I'd have to put another steering wheel back there...    :rant2: 

for the Mrs Rules to do her usual back seat driving thing she does. 

• Like 5

KC9KAS

I've built a couple of sulky's the last few years. Get a bunch of left overs and start fabbin!  :thumbs:  Here's one I made out of a C-160 frame

IMG_0079_zpsa8e400b6.jpg

That is a very neat set-up.....I like it!

KC9KAS

This one looks like your's Mr. 856..

IMG_20140526_110231_zpsmjaboqxl.jpg

KC9KAS

Before & After photos.

IMG_20140526_110231_zpsn07hcpoi.jpg

IMG_20140601_110727_zpsjq3h66ev.jpg

IMG_20140601_100842_zpshog7p3ho.jpg

Edited by KC9KAS
  • Like 6

Mr. 856

This one looks like your's Mr. 856..

IMG_20140526_110231_zpsmjaboqxl.jpg

It sure does. Were they mass produced?

I also like the basket idea. That is pretty slick for such a simple add on.

Edited by Mr. 856

JoeM

Great idea! I got to put one on my build list!

KC9KAS

I'm pretty sure the Surrey was mass produced for some brand of "walk" behind tractor, but I haven't figured out which brand.

AMC RULES

My Mrs would like the hand rest for added stability.   :thumbs: 

diesel cowboy

It sure does. Were they mass produced?

I also like the basket idea. That is pretty slick for such a simple add on.

It looks a lot like the one for my Gravely

Don1977

Before & After photos.

IMG_20140526_110231_zpsn07hcpoi.jpg

IMG_20140601_110727_zpsjq3h66ev.jpg

IMG_20140601_100842_zpshog7p3ho.jpg

I would add a piece under the hitch, that hitch will depend on the clip pin to keep it attached. I have one similar and the mower has a clevis type hitch on it.

Edited by Don1977

KC9KAS

I actually use a bolt with self locking nut.

I wanted to do as you suggested, but wifey said no.......Go figure!

857 horse

I LIKE THE BASKETS

INCASE YOU RUN LOW ON WHEEL HORSE STUFF

Mr. 856

This build has now taking on a more personal meaning. This is for my son mostly but figured i can get the wife to come along especially if the boy is involved. In trying to determine what/how to make the bench it dawned on me....................My wifes grandpa "pop" passed approx. 5 years ago. He was an amazing man who did so much in his life. After he passed the wife and I were given and old swing of his that had traveled from his ranch in Kansas to here in CT where is spent the remainder of its swinging life. The swing took its tool over the years, and was painted black and then red over its life. I decided this swing bench with some modification would be the ultimate tribute to "pop" and I think my wife will appreciate it as much as I will enjoy building it. I dug it out of the corner of the barn where it has collected spiders and dust for years. So I am now naming this build a tribute to "pop" in his memory and the pictures show what im starting with. The wood is still solid however the top layer is pretty soft. I sanded one piece to see what I was working with and it cleaned up nicely. I imagine the wood could be 50+ years old. It has weathered nicely.

post-9448-0-13260500-1419771316_thumb.jp

post-9448-0-40921000-1419771321_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Ken B

I put fenders on mine, I think they came off a 702. Now that my kids have out grown the sulky and you'd never catch my wife on one I turned mine into a wood hauler...

drawingbyjesse140.jpg

DSCN2325_zps23c56b38.jpg

• Like 5

Mr. 856

Havent put time in on it due to battling bronchitis. Our little guy has it along with an ear infection, wife and I have it, grandma has it. Its like an infestation within the family........anywho gathered up enough energy to pull myself off the couch and go the shop for some fresh air and to "cobble" a few things together. Please don't mind the mismatched hardware, misaligned slats, and a bench that appears to be leaning abit. All items to be corrected. I think you guys get the idea. Should look pretty nice once cleaned up.

post-9448-0-05945100-1419990924_thumb.jp

post-9448-0-36819500-1419990929_thumb.jp

post-9448-0-71407900-1419990935_thumb.jp

post-9448-0-57289800-1419990941_thumb.jp

• Like 2

KyBlue

Should look nice, though I worry if you didn't add some steel to support the outside edges, that'll be a lot of pressure on the wood slats alone...  just some food for thought.

Mr. 856

Far from complete. Bracing will be welded in on bottom and back side.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Seems a pretty nice tribute to me...  :thumbs: 

all you're are lacking now is the parade.

Wishing everyone there, a happy new year...

and a get well soon too.   :) 

Edited by AMC RULES